Running DNScrypt and DNSSEC

<edit>I noticed a lot op people are reading this article. Although this topic still contains some valid points, you're better of reading this topic. It explains the steps I've taken to get a working combination of dnscrypt-proxy and DNSSEC, using a new version of dnsmasq. I've explained here why I stopped using dnscrypt-loader (this was in fact the reason I couldn't update dnscrypt-proxy beyond version 1.9.1). This topic however still explains how to upgrade dnscrypt-proxy. </edit>

I've already installed DNScrypt, highest possible version 1.9.1
I noticed the pull request from dschaper, and noticed DNSSEC will be supported in v.2.12. As this is easy to configure (just two lines in /etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf and one line in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf), I've tested the configuration.
You need to select DNSSec enabled dnscrypt servers (using dnscrypt-loader), there are only 2 DNSSEC enabled, non-logging servers available (ref this list).
To verify the configuration is working, goto to this page. If the page doesn't load, DNSSEC is working (you'll notice a message - validation result is BOGUS - in the pihole log). If the page does load, the setup is NOT working.
The question(s):

• What is the general advise, regarding the use of both DNScrypt and DNSSEC?
  • Is using DNSSEC usefull, since there are almost no sites that have it implemented (use this site to check the DNSSEC status of a domain)?

I don't know how you obtained the number, but I see many more servers in the very same list with the following filter: DNScrypt (all of them) + dnssec == yes + no log == yes. What am I missing here?

This page does not load for me, although I don't have DNSSEC enabled. See this output in the log:

Jan 25 12:40:38 dnsmasq[19933]: query[A] www.dnssec-failed.org from my.ip.address.here
Jan 25 12:40:38 dnsmasq[19933]: forwarded www.dnssec-failed.org to my.primary.dns.server
Jan 25 12:40:38 dnsmasq[19933]: query[A] www.dnssec-failed.org from my.ip.address.here
Jan 25 12:40:38 dnsmasq[19933]: forwarded www.dnssec-failed.org to my.primary.dns.server
Jan 25 12:40:39 dnsmasq[19933]: query[A] www.dnssec-failed.org from my.ip.address.here
Jan 25 12:40:39 dnsmasq[19933]: forwarded www.dnssec-failed.org to my.primary.dns.server
Jan 25 12:40:39 dnsmasq[19933]: forwarded www.dnssec-failed.org to my.secondary.dns.server
Jan 25 12:40:39 dnsmasq[19933]: forwarded www.dnssec-failed.org to my.primary.dns.server
Jan 25 12:40:39 dnsmasq[19933]: forwarded www.dnssec-failed.org to my.secondary.dns.server
Jan 25 12:40:40 dnsmasq[19933]: query[A] www.dnssec-failed.org from my.ip.address.here
Jan 25 12:40:40 dnsmasq[19933]: forwarded www.dnssec-failed.org to my.primary.dns.server
Jan 25 12:40:40 dnsmasq[19933]: forwarded www.dnssec-failed.org to my.secondary.dns.server
Jan 25 12:40:40 dnsmasq[19933]: forwarded www.dnssec-failed.org to my.primary.dns.server
Jan 25 12:40:41 dnsmasq[19933]: query[A] www.dnssec-failed.org from my.ip.address.here
Jan 25 12:40:41 dnsmasq[19933]: forwarded www.dnssec-failed.org to my.primary.dns.server
Jan 25 12:40:42 dnsmasq[19933]: forwarded www.dnssec-failed.org to my.secondary.dns.server
Jan 25 12:40:42 dnsmasq[19933]: forwarded www.dnssec-failed.org to my.primary.dns.server
Jan 25 12:40:43 dnsmasq[19933]: query[A] www.dnssec-failed.org from my.ip.address.here
Jan 25 12:40:43 dnsmasq[19933]: forwarded www.dnssec-failed.org to my.primary.dns.server
Jan 25 12:40:43 dnsmasq[19933]: forwarded www.dnssec-failed.org to my.secondary.dns.server
Jan 25 12:40:43 dnsmasq[19933]: forwarded www.dnssec-failed.org to my.primary.dns.server

(no DNSSEC messages in the log)

To answer your questions (at leat the second one): Whether DNSSEC is worth the effort is a good question. You might want to read this article. There was a feature request for it and it was straightforward to implement it - that was my motivation for doing it in the first place.

I used to work with dnscrypt.eu-nl & dnscrypt.eu-dk, as soon as I enabled DNSSEC, a DNSSEC configured site, such as raspberrypi.org doesn't load anymore. changing to the DNSSEC enabled servers, fixed the problem.

As indicated on the result (obtained using an openDNS server). DNSSEC works, if you don't get there

The results in pihole.log (DNSSEC enabled - no page loaded):
Jan 25 12:14:46 dnsmasq[16477]: query[A] www.dnssec-failed.org from 192.168.2.125
Jan 25 12:14:46 dnsmasq[16477]: forwarded www.dnssec-failed.org to 127.10.10.1
Jan 25 12:14:46 dnsmasq[16477]: query[A] www.dnssec-failed.org from 192.168.2.125
Jan 25 12:14:46 dnsmasq[16477]: forwarded www.dnssec-failed.org to 127.10.10.2
Jan 25 12:14:46 dnsmasq[16477]: forwarded www.dnssec-failed.org to 127.10.10.1
Jan 25 12:14:46 dnsmasq[16477]: validation result is BOGUS

Okay, them I'm most likely not getting there for another reason... I cannot use DNSSEC enabled servers at my current location (have to take what I get, all other upstream DNS servers are blocked and I cannot change that).

I looked at this column:

I was looking at the pihole log, to figure out if DNSSEC was actually working and found the following entries:
Jan 26 08:07:47 dnsmasq[16477]: reply cloudflare.com is BOGUS DNSKEY
Jan 26 08:07:47 dnsmasq[16477]: validation result is BOGUS
google turned up this alarming (to me) document, containing the exact same log entries and this explanation:
Dnsmasq has implemented ECDSA since 2.69, however it was broken and not fixed until 2.73
Unfortunately, a fully updated Raspbian Jessie Lite comes with version 2.72, thus without the fix (Fix broken DNSSEC validation of ECDSA signatures).

NOT quite sure if implementing DNSSEC is beneficial for pihole at this stage...

So I decided to jump in, after making a backup image of my SD card.
Found this document, on how to upgrade dnsmasq.
Unfortunately, this guide installs a new version of dnsmasq in /usr/local/sbin (the raspbian version is installed in /usr/sbin), the packages aren't compiled with the DNSSEC option.
Searching the debian packages, I found dnsmasq_2.76-5_all.deb here, not quite sure how to proceed...

Yeah, I'm also running a customized version of dnsmasq (modified with some fancy extra stuff for Pi-hole) at home which is also compiled from source and up-to-date with their development version. So you might have a good point there.

<edit> You can still use this method to upgrade packages from stretch, however I found that dnsmasq version 2.76-5 also has a DNSSEC problem. There is a solution for this, you can read it here. </edit>

I found a way to upgrade dnsmasq on raspbian jessie lite, already running pi-hole and dnscrypt-proxy.
WARNING: Don't do this if you're not willing to run anything else but the stable build!!!
before you start the upgrade, run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade
step 1: follow the instructions in this document, replace the apt-get instruction with the following:
sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade dnsmasq -t stretch
select N to keep the original configuration file when asked!
step 2: as soon as the upgrade is completed, remove the 4 files you created and run sudo apt-get update again.
step 3: reboot your pi
You can verify dnsmasq has been upgraded by searching the pihole log ("started, version 2.") The latest entry (today) reads dnsmasq[2149]: started, version 2.76 cachesize 10000 while the original entries are dnsmasq[462]: started, version 2.72 cachesize 10000

If you are installing fresh (new jessie image, pihole not yet installed), you're better of installing the upgraded dnsmasq before you install pihole. The apt-get instruction to use in this case:
sudo apt-get install dnsmasq -t stretch
remember to remove the 4 files and sudo apt-get update again!

You need to enable DNSSEC by editing /etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf, the required entries can be found here (file advanced/Scripts/webpage.sh)

I'm still not convinced this is worth the effort, as hardly any domains seems to be DNSSEC enabled (check the pihole log)

1 Like

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade dnsmasq -t stretch
Reading package lists... Done
E: The value 'stretch' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources

You need to follow the instructions in the document, e.g.:

• create the 4 files
  • run sudo apt-get update
  • run sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade dnsmasq -t stretch
  • remove the 4 files
  • run sudo apt-get update

I just did this an hour ago to find/test the problem you were having with dnsmasq, so this still works.