[Resolved ] Whitelisting Appears to be Broken with Dev Branch

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Domain should not be blocked after adding to whitelist.

Actual Behaviour:

Pi-hole shows the whitelisted domain being blocked for type A requests. Type AAAA requests are not being blocked.

Debug Token:

6zctvh66fv

Doing nslookup maps.googleapis.com gives no results.
Doing nslookup maps.googleapis.com 8.8.8.8 shows proper results

What method are you using to whitelist? CLI or Web. Also are you attempting to use regex and if so is the regex valid?

I used the web interface initially then tried CLI. CLI stated the item was already on the whitelist. I am not using regex.

does running pihole -g resolve the issue ?

pihole -g Did not help.

I just whitelisted another domain using the web interface and it appears to have worked. The domain that I originally open this thread for is still being blocked though.

what does grep maps.googleapis.com /etc/pihole/gravity.list return

No results returned.

ok that means there are no instances of that domain in gravity so it should no longer be blocked so im not sure why you would see any block activity on that domain now

What is the full log output for that request?

Unless I'm doing something wrong, there is no output.

I whitelisted another domain and it worked successfully so I am not sure why this particular domain is being stubborn.

That's the list of blocked domains. Check /var/log/pihole.log or pihole -t

log file.txt (201.8 KB)

Jun 13 01:55:10 dnsmasq[1124]: 21615 192.168.1.65/47087 query[A] maps.googleapis.com from 192.168.1.65
Jun 13 01:55:10 dnsmasq[1124]: 21615 192.168.1.65/47087 forwarded maps.googleapis.com to 192.168.1.76
Jun 13 01:55:10 dnsmasq[1124]: 21615 192.168.1.65/47087 reply maps.googleapis.com is <CNAME>

So maps.googleapis.com is resolved to be a CNAME, that is an alias for another domain. That domain may be blocked.
What is the output of dig maps.googleapis.com

the result from dig was googleapis.l.google.com

I just whitelisted that domain and am successfully able to retrieve information from the domain without being blocked.

Thank you for your help. I'll remember this information in the future (CNAME and using dig).

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.