[Resolved] Web admin interface not working properly on mobile devices

I just updated my Pi-Hole and, after the update, the web admin interface doesn't seem to work as expected.

On desktop bworser all is OK.

On Chrome for Android I see the statistics (the four colored boxes) but in the "Queries over time" I see only a spinning arrow. After logging in, all the additional boxes ("Queries over time", Querytypes", Forward Destinations", etc.) display a spinning arrow.

On the stock browser of my Android phone, I have the same issues, plus the statistics display "---" values.

What can be the problem?

I just flushed the cache on Chrome for Android and all is working fine, now.

I also flushed the cache on the stock browser, but it still doesn't work. Probably it's a browser-related problem.

Please provide more details. What is your desktop browser?

• Chrome?
  • Firefox?
  • Safari?
  • some Win browser?

We have another user reporting problems with Win browsers (Edge, IE) but due to lack of details we cannot yet analyze what is happening. The same user can use FIrefox and Chrome on the same machine just fine.
I don't have Win machines within reach so I have to rely on extensive and detailed as possible input to be able to analyze what might be going on here.

As I already wrote, no problem on desktop, where I use GNU/Linux and Chrome 55.

The problem appeared only on my Android phone with Chrome 55 and the stock browser.

The problem has been resolved on Chrome browser by flushing the cache, while the stock browser of my LG G4 still continues to have the issue.

Thanks.

Oh yes, I misunderstood your initial post. I'm currently only on mobile and there is quite some interference coming in. I suppose there is no option to flush the cache on your stock browser? Maybe the issue will resolve itself after some time when the cache on your mobile device expires.

The option is available, but it doesn't make any effect.

Never mind - I will use only Chrome.

Thanks for your support!

Yeah, I haven't even seen the stock browser on android for a while! Do phones still ship with it?

Usually they have Chrome as a default, but I've still seem some stock browsers being shipped. One reason that the charts are not being shown is that the log is too big for the Pi-hole to handle, and since it was struggling to show the graphs on the desktop it couldn't generate the stats for the mobile devices in time. @aldolat, did you open the admin interface at the same/similar time for desktop and mobile? Most of the time the Pi will not be able to fulfill all those requests at the same time, so not all pages will have all the charts. If you open it on one client, wait for it to load, and then open it on another client the situation might be different.

In my case, yes. :slight_smile:

I waited for 1 hour and the stock browser didn't show values and the spinning arrows are stil there.
I repeat, no problem on Chrome for Android instead.

This sounds almost like the ajax calls do not work at all. What about the Query Log page?

The Query Log page seems OK. Even other pages are working properly, such ad log tail, whitelist/blacklist, settings, etc.

We have another user who is seeing a similar issue. Using some debug tools he found out that one of his browsers (Chrome on Mac) is still using an old version of the index.js script despite having cleared the cache. Since we updated the Chart.js engine from version 1 to version 2 before Christmas, the old index.js script do not work any more (Chart.js is not backwards compatible, causing the issues).

He can access the index page using a different browser (Safari) on the same computer just fine so it seems to be no problem of the Pi-hole installation.

It seems like that both of you see an issue where clearing the Cache seemingly doesn't clear JS scripts. Still trying to get my head around it...

1 Like