Repeated DHCPDISCOVER/OFFER from Router

I turned on the DHCP server on PiHole in order to see the IPs/Hostnames of clients in the query log. I "Disabled" the DHCP on my Google Wifi by limiting the DHCP scope to one Static IP address which is assigned to the Raspberry Pi running PiHole. Seems to be working pretty good so far however, I have to sometimes disable pihole if I have a lot of DHCP requests at the same time otherwise they don't seem to get processed.

When I perform a "PiHole -T" I see repeated attempts by one MAC address (The Google Wifi router) to gain an IP Address (at least this is my understanding of what is happening. My Pi Hole is configured to provide DHCP addresses within the same subnet, but not overlapping the PiHole address.

I'm seeing this in the log:
dnsmasq-dhcp[902]: DHCPDISOCVER(ETH0) "Router Mac Address"
dnsmasq-dhcp[902]: DHCPOFFER(ETH0) "Invalid/unused local IP Address" "Router Mac Address"

This happens over and over. Anyone have an idea of why this would happen? Thank you!

Expected Behaviour:

I'm not expecting the router to try and get an IP address from PiHole

Actual Behaviour:

Repeated DHCPDISCOVER/Offers from router MAC address

Debug Token:

Tried uploading the log but got an error: "There was an error uploading your debug log."

You can take a look at my attempts of getting Google wifi to work here...

Long story short the dnsmasq running on Google wifi does not play nice with others. I recommend turning off pihole's dhcp server.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll move to a unifi setup.

No problem, I wish I had better news with my debugging! I know unifi isn't for everyone especially if networking isn't in their repertoire, but it's worth the investment, you won't be disappointed!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.