Recover from failed installation

Hi

I just had a go at installing Pi Hole on a PI I have running as a photoframe as I figured it could be working harder. The initial installation failed part way through (which I'm not really trying to troubleshoot).

Anyway, I tried to bail and start again by removing the stuff in /etc and re-cloning the repo, but now DNS is not working at all - it won't ping Github or google or anything. Can't connect via SSH either (it's a wifi connection).

I guess I shoulda left it alone and used a new one, but it's a pain to re-build it and I'm wondering how I might revert whatever Pihole did to the network setup so I don't have to.

thanks in advance

EDIT: do below other posting first :wink:

Try run below one to fix DNS resolution temporarily:

echo 'nameserver 8.8.8.8' | sudo tee /etc/resolv.conf

And try install again with below one (added -x argument):

curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash -x

If still failing, post output for the install here.

Connect display and keyboard to login and see if it has an IP in your network:

ip a

Check if dhcpcd5 is installed that might have changed network configuration:

apt policy dhcpcd5

If installed, run below ones to uninstall and hope network settings revert back to default:

sudo apt remove dhcpcd5

sudo service networking restart

ip a

As WiFi is another barrier, I would connect copper as well and see if either of the two interfaces get an IP in your network:

ip a

Run below one to check for networking logs:

journalctl -u networking

EDIT: added some

thank you for the suggestions. I did have a quick go but no joy. I must have really borked the thing.

I ended up copying off the project files and starting again. Wasn't that bad in the end.

I'll be back when I have a fresh Pi to do this properly!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.