Reboot issues

Did the update this afternoon after getting the message that new versions were available, updates performed ok. BUT after reboot the raspberry pi is dead and I have to start again from scratch and reinstall pi-hole. Happened with previous updates as well.

Can you provide more details please? What do you mean by "dead"? What actually happens, step by step? Re powering up, activity, anything non-standard installed and so on.

1 Like

The web interface no loner connects and times out
Same thing with a ping to the ip address, no repsonse
Standard Rasperry os install and it just runs pi-hole
Used to have Unifi controller on there as well but just use a desktop client for that so just pi-hole now

Does starting again from scratch mean reimaging the SD card with Pi OS and then reinstalling Pi-hole, or just reinstalling Pi-hole? If the latter then perhaps it is worth doing a full OS reimage and Pi-hole reinstall, to ensure there are no leftover quirks from its previous usage.

Does it do this after any other reboots or consistently only following a Pi-hole update? If the latter, can you make it happen by doing a pihole -up (to go through the motions even though there's no update) followed by pihole -g (to replicate what it does after an update) followed by a reboot?

The next time it happens, if it's connected via ethernet try unplugging and replugging the cable and test again. Can you also then connect the Pi to a display/TV via HDMI with a keyboard and mouse attached. That way you can see if it is booting and, if it is, open a terminal and run ipconfig to see what networking is or isn't configured and run pihole status and pihole -d for more info.

Is the power supply a decent/official one? Check for any under-voltage events with the command below.

dmesg | grep -i -C 5 "voltage"

I will keep a note of these instructions and will post back after the next update

You have the best chance of detecting power brownouts if run all below three commands:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.