Rate limit due to openthread queries

My pihole is not the DHCP server. Is this a problem? Still NXDOMAIN...

The specification calls for using the domain something.thread.home.arpa for a Thread network:

CNAME is now working...I did it manually for every HomePod Mini in my network. Far less queries in my network now.

If I understand it correctly, mDNS requests are sent to the Pihole via DNS. This can not do anything with it, because it does not understand mDNS. Is that correct?

Because that would mean that every PiHole user with HomePod Mini is flooded with DNS requests (which should be mDNS).

I am surprised that there seems to be no workaround here. Either you enter the CNAME manually, or you get flooded.

In other words: what would I have to change in my network so that mDNS is understood correctly? Is there anything that can be set on the PiHole?

Hello @anon13929094, not an answer to your questions, but some weeks after removing the rate limit my traffic is almost back to normal, meaning openthread.thread.home.arpa requests have dropped from several millions to max 2000 per day. I haven't touched the CNAME solutions mentioned above and haven't changed to using the pihole as a DHCP server yet. Just wanted to see what happened without the rate limit. I don't understand why the drop, but I am happy :slight_smile:

There is news: I use a Unifi network (Dream Machine as router/DHCP and PiHole as DNS). On the Unifi router, "mDNS" can be enabled. Since I enabled that, the requests are answered correctly. There are still a lot of requests, but when they are answered correctly, it seems like there are less requests. That would coincide with your posting @robbertnoordhoek.

Therefore, one solution may be to make sure that mDNS works properly on the network.

I will continue to monitor it.

Update: Same behavior as before. There are again very often searches for .arpa domains, which are all answered with "BOGUS" or "NXDOMAIN".

Any news from anybody? Still have thousands requests...may iOS 15.4 will fix that...

Apple's latest software releases this week (macOS 12.3, iOS 15.4, etc.) stopped the very frequent home.arpa requests. They probably started to implement this draft: Permissionless Advertising and Discovery of DNS-SD Authoritative Zones

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.