Raspbian Serious problem with my network after installing pi-hole

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

My raspberry PI listened to 192.168.2.50 (static IP) but in addition I had setup a Bonding interface (bond0) which had as slaves Eth0 and Wlan0. This configuration worked flawlessly for more than 2 years. Bond0 interface had the static IP 192.168.2.50 and the slave interfaces worked like physical mediums to the virtual bonding interface. I expected to have the same network setup after installing the pi-hole

Actual Behaviour:

After installing pi-hole my network setup is a complete mess. Currently bond interface has no IP and instead the other two interface work in DHCP mode and take an IP from the DHCP server. Every connection to my raspberry is not possible through IP despite that both interface are being assigned an IP so I am forced to login using the serial port of the PI.

Debug Token:

[Replace this text with the debug token provided from running pihole -d (or running the debug script through the web interface]

This is not an issue of pi-hole but an issue on my network setup caused by pi-hole installation therefore I can't provide any debug.

Could you please tell me what pi-hole installation script does to the network and how I can restore back my network setup ? I see that all my network setup (bonding, wlan) is as before I mean the configuration files but the network doesn't work anymore. That means that configuration is now handled from some other configuration scripts that pi-hole installed and I can't find where and what.

Please help as I use this raspberry server for many things and I can't have it offline for long time.

Thank you

Try removing or disabling the package dhcpcd. We mainly install that package, add a static IP via that package's config, and make sure that the firewall allows for dns and http traffic.

Thanks for the reply.

I fixed it already.

Could you please make a less automated installation for the pi-hole. Messing with network configuration without giving enough information to the user is a bit frustrating.

Is there any other way to install and keep full control of my current setup ?

Thank you.

The install does say that it will set up a static IP. We are working on removing the dhcpcd package requirement on most installs (it's only there because Raspbian requires it). The bash installer is the only method of installation we currently offer.

So, any way to install pi-hole without having again to deal with dhcpcd messing with my network ? It is a dependency for a package that pi-hole needs and which one?

Thank you!

@DanSchaper would be able to answer that better than I

1 Like

@Nikolas_Kallianiotis Do you still need assistance with this?

Hi,

no it's OK. I have managed to solve it. Thanks for the reply.

Kind regards