I’m in the planning stages of setting up a business to provide parents and grandparents greater control over their internet, and what their kids/grandkids consume. One of the key features requires the use of a Pi-Hole like DNS filter. this filter would require the use of a RADIUS server to implement this type of control, i’m wondering if anyone has thought about using RADIUS to filter specific sites for certain users or specifically white list sites for those specific users?
I’m not asking this as a feature request and i’m genuinely curious about what the Pi-Hole community actually thinks about this.
Other features that i would try to implement for this business are:
- greylist filters, or sites that aren’t white or black listed so that when someone tries to access such a site a notification can be sent to the parent for screening and approval of the site.
- per user/device filters. specific black and white lists for parrents can manage their internet access independently from their kids, such that they can enjoy mommy and daddy entertainment while their kids are locked to Crunchyroll and Hulu for the 14 year old, and Disney kids for the 8 year old.
- new site logging so that any new query is logged for analysis for the monitoring team and the parents.
- fake/misleading/polarizing news filtering, where sites like the Huffington Post, Salon, InfoWars, Braitbart, and plenty of others, would be filtered based on factual reporting, observable bias and misleading content, newsguard certification, journalistic ethics among others. Sites like Reason(a libertarian outlet) the Associated Press, probably the BBC and CNN, and Fox News, likely would not be filtered, but that would depend on an independent review of specified criteria.
- one click list features, so you can with one click enable ad/tracker blocking, adult content filtering, social media filtering, popular site filtering, and fake/misleading/polarizing news filtering.
My question to you all, what would you want on your parents network (or your family network) to better help them, and what do you think about the DNS part of the service i’m planning on providing?
also first post here, looking forward to seeking help in the future when i need it for making my business a reality.