Query log keeps "processing"

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Query log should produce results based on the traffic it is passing and blocking. Pihole is actually blocking ads properly, just isn't showing results in the query log. I have updated my dnsmasq as indicated and that completed successfully.

Actual Behaviour:

Query log show's nothing other than the column headers overlayed with a "processing" message".

Debug Token:

k6f4gziio4

Hi Jacob. That worked. Thanks! A couple other issues now though...

My clients (over time) graph is using shades of gray, not actual colors. How do I change it?
Also, I have a number of clients. When I hover over the graph, the box telling me which client is which gets cut off.
Also, I have an ip address showing up that isn't in my router. It is actually the "top client", but it that particular IP isn't showing up in my router as an assigned ip address. Odd, huh?

1 Like

I have not seen this before. Can you provide a screen shot for us?

This is a known issue and is being discussed here:

An IP that is in the same range as the other machines on your network but not known to the router? Is the router also the DHCP server? Maybe this one device is using a static IP and hence not known to the DHCP server?

Here is a pic. It is becoming more and more colorless...

Sorry on the truncated box question. I followed some other advice and resized the graph. Just wanted to point it out.

Yes, the "phantom" ip address is within the range of all the others. The router is my dhcp server. Interesting idea on the static IP. However, my rPi is a static IP and it shows up. Interestingly, pinging this "phantom IP" returns "Destination Host Unreachable"

You can check the logs for when that IP was sending queries (maybe something connected to the network temporarily or got reassigned). The dark sections appear because there are more clients than colors in the theme (This is fixed in the next generation of web for graphs which might need more colors than the theme gives).

I wonder if this is an unintended feature in FTL. Do you have many devices coming in and going out of your network? If not, how many clients do you have? I agree with @Mcat12 that the theme probably just doesn't provide enough colors for the numbers of clients you're having.

I have 30-45 clients at any given time. I think you are right, I'm just pushing the limits of the current color palette! Sounds like that may be addressed soon tho?

An altogether new web interface (much more modern, no PHP requirement, etc.) is in the works. @Mcat12 can comment on its color palette.

Here is the relevant section of code (ignore the fact that it's the forward destinations over time):
https://github.com/pi-hole/web/blob/3790ecaabc2261ceecd672907ebca7dd4db630fc/src/components/ForwardDestOverTime.js#L106-L109

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.