Quad9 vs Cloudflare Upstream for Recursive DNS

The terminal on the Pi-hole Linux machine where you are running the previous dig 127.0.0.1 -p 5335 commands.

ok.. so even though this machine is not going through Pihole, the results should still appear in Pihole query log?

Ran that dig command, but I don't see it in the query log.
EDIT

Never mind, I see it...

The Linux machine is running Pi-hole on the standard DNS port, and Unbound alongside it on port 5335. When you are logged in to the Linux terminal on that machine and you run the dig commands you are using those two services.

dig 127.0.0.1 -p 5335... says to "use Unbound on this machine", and dig 127.0.0.1... (without the -p 5335) says to "use Pi-hole on this machine" (which in turn then sends it to Unbound as the Custom upstream server you configured), and in both cases "this machine" is the Linux machine that you are logged into. The SSH window that you are using to access that Linux terminal is just a sort of dumb window. The DNS settings of the computer running that dumb window itself don't matter.

When you do a dig 127.0.0.1... command in the Pi-hole Linux terminal window, you are asking Pi-hole to resolve something and so that will appear in the Query Log from localhost, as you've seen.

Now if you tell your computers to use Pi-hole for DNS you will see queries appearing in Pi-hole's Query Log when you refresh it, and you will see that these queries are being passed along to Unbound to resolve. If so, then all is good – you are successfully running Pi-hole and your own recursive Unbound resolver.

1 Like

I notice that some queries say this

and some this.

which one is Unbound?

localhost#5335
1 Like

This has been a long time already is my experience.
Just run the dig a couple of times and usually you get the proper response.

1 Like

Thanks Chris and everyone for the great help and information. It seems it's running fine.
I will create another topic for one last thing I would like.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.