Purchased a new router and now Pi-hole has no internet

Hello, I just recently replaced my old Asus Rt-N56U router with a new TP-Link Archer A2300 and everything else in my house has internet except my pihole and so I can no longer access my Web UI and when I try tp check for updates on the Pi-hole it just says unable to access github and or unable to get latest release from github etc etc. So I am unsuure of what to doto fix the issue and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Any more details of your home network?
How you connect Pihole to the new router? Cable or wireless? SSID, pre-shared key changed? Pihole is hosted on Pi or other devices? Have you reconfigured Pi or Pihole devices? What IP address Pihole get? Is there any MAC filter on TP router is using wireless? etc?

This sounds like you may have set a static IP on your Pi which is outside of the default of your new router.

Most Asus routers default to 192.168.1.1/24, and if you set a static IP on your Pi withen that range, it would be 192.168.1.XXX.

I think the newer TP-Links default to 192.168.0.1/24. So any traffic from static IPs outside of that range will be ignored.

Check if your Pi's static IP is within the correct range for your router.

Hey, everything I have is Hard wired all of the settings are the same as before so SSID and passwords for the old router I just used on the new one. I run the Pi-hole off of a Raspberry Pi Model B that's running Raspbian Stretch Lite. The IP address of the Pi is 192.168.1.81 but I did notice that on the New router the IP address pool ranges from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199 so that maybe be an issue and not sure how to change that. I ran pihole -r and tried changing the IP address from 192.168.1.81/24 to 192.168.0.1/24 and then changed the default gateway from 192.168.1.1 which was what Asus used and changed it to 192.168.0.1 which is what TP link uses but it still isn't working. Also there is no Mac Filtering going on or at least nothing that I can tell and yes wireless is enabled but all of my stuff is hardwired so my desktops and Pi etc and only use the Wireless for Phones/tablets or laptops upstairs.

Did you reboot the Pi-hole after reconfiguring it?

yes I have and it says my IP address is 192.168.0.81 now but the same issue persists where it says fatal: unable to access and then the guthub link etc.

Check /etc/dhcpcd.conf to see if it has the correct settings.

1 Like

See here for setting static IP example on Raspbian Stretch:

Thanks, @Mcat12 that worked I used WinSCP and checked that file out and for whatever reason it had my new settings in there but also had the old ones still so it must have been defaulting back to the old ones. I have edited the file to only use my new settings then rebooted the PI and viola there is internet and I can now access the Web UI like before just using my new IP address instead of the old one. Now, however, this is what my Web UI looks like and was wondering if that's normal or not

Thanks,

Run below one to update the lists with the new IP:

pihole -g

Refresh browser after.

EDIT: was thinking, better run pihole -r again just to be sure.
It will also refresh the lists with the new IP.

1 Like

well I ran Pihole -g rebooted the pi and refreshed my browser and now it looks better I think

2 Likes

To get a better idea of what your current block rate is (without the history back to when your PiHole wasn't working properly), you could flush the piHole log and disable query logging, then re-enable query logging. This will reset your stats immediately. Otherwise, the old data will slide off the left and tomorrow you'll see accurate data again.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.