[PSA] Bugfix release 3.3.1 for Pi-hole Core [Read before running pihole -up]

Hi All,

We are preparing a point release to get the bug fix for whitelisting out to you all. (not released just yet, but keep an eye on this pull request)

For those of you not on Raspbian Jessie, once released you may proceed to run pihole -up to bring in the fixes.

Unfortunately this does not fix compatibility with Jessie, so you will still need to either stay on 3.2.1 for the time being, or follow the instructions at the top of our previous release post to update your version of dnsmasq to a compatible version (if applicable)

In terms of getting full compatibility with Jessie (and other distros that don't have the required version of dnsmasq available in their package managers... watch this space, we have some potentially exciting news to follow...!

Just to reiterate:

It is very important that you do not update to 3.3.1 from 3.2.1 if you were unable to update to 3.3 before

Since 3.3.1 is available now via the master branch, is it also available on the ftldns branch? After pihole -up my version ist still on the following:

pi@fr0sh-pi:~ $ pihole -v
Pi-hole version is v3.2.1-147-g6086614 (Latest: v3.3.1)
AdminLTE version is v3.2.1-121-gd9212632 (Latest: v3.3)
FTL version is vDev-75f6040 (Latest: v3.0)

Are these the latest versions?
I have some doubts and already read about newer versions...

Thanks a lot

The versioning doesn't work the same on the alternative branches, the key to look out for is the gXXXXXXX number after what you expect the version to be.

in this case g6086614 is the latest commit on the FTLDNS branch.

Someone else will be able to explain the reasoning why the version numbers look like that better than I!

1 Like

The Core and Web versions use git describe --tags, so it might look like this:

v3.3-50-ga97e361

The first section is the last tag (v3.3), the second is the number of commits since that tag (50), and the last is the commit hash with a "g" prepended to it by git to signify it's a git hash (ga97e361).

FTL has the version compiled in, and for versions not built on the master branch (not stable releases), it looks like this:

vDev-9315a25

Where the first section shows that it's a development version, and the second is the git hash without the "g" signifier.