Possible to persist temperature setting?

Is it possible to edit some internal config file so as to persist temperature setting of Fahrenheit instead of it reverting to ‘Celsius’ on each new browser or at new sessions?

Expected Behaviour:

[raspberry os latest
RPi3B+]

Actual Behaviour:

[asmis the verbiage temperature settings revert to default ‘Celsius’ on new browser open]

Debug Token:

[Replace this text with the debug token provided from running pihole -d (or running the debug script through the web interface]

There is a command line option in the documentation.

You shouldn't be using that many browsers that this is really an issue. With session you mean deleting all local data at a given interval? This shouldn't be necessary normally.

@DL6ER - while it right not to use too many browsers in use, in my case I use Mac and iOS devices where I never keep any history or cache once my task is completed with browser. That necessitates to change from C to F upon opening admin page.

@mibere - thanks for the link - I have already made the change and will keep an eye on this to confirm it sticks.

Thanks for quick turnaround. Weekend to go over documentation in detail to see what more I can tweak :slight_smile:

EDIT:

After using pihole -a fahrenheit, there is no change on browser, restarting services didn’t do anything, nor did full Raspberry OS reboot. Is pihole -a fahrenheit no longer applicable?

The command changes the setting TEMPERATUREUNIT in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf.
But I can't see any change in the web interface either.

If I understand the code correctly, the possibility to set (better: read and use) the temperature by setupVars.conf was removed (or forgotten?) as the ability to change it per web GUI was implemented.
(see changes to header.php)

Thanks yubiuser for the link showing removal of this option.
Is this something that can be brought back and let end user make persistent change so as not to do it every single time a new browser session is opened (albeit in my case older session is cleared of cookies, cache and history)
And it would be prudent to update the documentation to highlight this deprecated option or remove it completely?

This. I don't think clearing all browser local-storage data was acknowledged as a normal thing to do. For the short term, we could maybe re-add it, however, how to define preference?

In the long-term (v6.0), the temperature will re removed. It was already causing too many issues and it mostly irrelevant for the DNS operation. Pi-hole should not be used as a monitoring tool for the device. It has not happened that the temperature showed something of interest to the users. High load is visible as high load directly beneath that. There is actually no reason to keep such an additional, only very indirect measure. Raspberry Pis are known to work at very hot.

The BCM2837 SoC is tested to 125°C so well above boiling water temperature. Running continuously at this temperature is out of specifications, however, you will not come even close to that as the SoC does speed and voltage throttling when reaching a silicon temperature of 80°C (outside is still cooler at this time). The eMMC and LPDDR2 have a narrower range but even they can run at 80°C without worrying too much.

TL;DR This discussion seems to show once more that the temperature display is more a problem than a solution for anything.

Understood DL6ER. I am not trying to cause more headaches to you all that are actively developing this phenomenal tool. While we have it I use it to see how each of the Pi’s are acting as they are in different locations - (I have 3 but cannot figure out how to use 3rd on my router). With other software running alongside, I am using temperature as a crude method to see what’s the best location to keep hardware coolest.

If this is indeed causing grief or added complexity please accept my apologies to have raised this.

I concur with most of your summary just that I use browsers in non conventional way so clearing is part of my routine. Even after I complete this and close browser :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.