Pihole starts tracker-miner-fs service and runs every 30 seconds

Watching my syslog I found that the pihole user is trying to start a "tracker-miner-fs" process every 30 seconds or so which fails.It can't find a database /home/pihole/.cache/tracker/meta.db
I couldn't find any documentation on this.
Do I need it? Can I stop it?

Please upload a debug log and post just the token generated by

pihole -d

allowing to upload when prompted, or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

tracker-miner-fs seems to be the file indexing service supporting Ubuntu's desktop search. I am not at all familiar with it, but the Tracker FAQ may have information on how to control that feature of your OS.

yes, that's what I found out as well. Gnome is installed on that machine but I rarely use it.
Turns out that the service(s) tried to access the pihole home directory. The installation creates the user pihole with the home directory "/home/pihole" - but that dir doesn't exist. The service(s) failed in accessing those non-existing files/directories.
Now, why that doesn't happen with other system users on my system which also point to non-existing home dirs - I don't know.
But my problem was solved after created the home dir for pihole.

I found this webpage describing how to disable the tracker family (https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/07/how-to-completely-disable-tracker.html)

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.