PiHole on RPi3B+ went from working to barely responsive

I'll check that out, thanks.

I suppose I need to figure out how to get more ads blocked without adding such a massive list. Still can't ping the Pi to get anything back, but at least it seems to be partially working.

The answer to that is Regex.

Consider it as a wildcard kind of blocking where any links containing your trigger word, like ad- or tracking and the such are blocked ...

There are several regex topics here that can get you going ... even regex generators online ...

Going back to this:

Mar 22 15:34:06 dnsmasq-dhcp[2003]: DHCPREQUEST(eth0) 192.168.1.42 00:11:d9:::**
Mar 22 15:34:06 dnsmasq-dhcp[2003]: DHCPACK(eth0) 192.168.1.42 00:11:d9:::** TIVO-8400301909DAC30

Looks like your TIVO requested a lease and it got one ...

Why? Are you seeing ads? If not, then you don't need more block lists. If so, perhaps a blacklist or regex entry will block that particular ad source.

Well said. I will watch how things work with the default list (when I was using the defaults I was getting a good amount of ads, but maybe I didn't stick with it long enough before adding 'more').

I think the regex topics are also a good idea.

How many domains are in gravity now?

wc -l /etc/pihole/gravity.list

wc -l /etc/pihole/adlists.list

wc -l /etc/pihole/gravity.list
112225 /etc/pihole/gravity.list

wc -l /etc/pihole/adlists.list
16 /etc/pihole/adlists.list

I disabled all but the couple of base lists per the instructions. I'm definitely getting better performance, but at the expense of some ads.

I would use these tools to determine the source of the ads and then block them as required:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.