Pihole not working after install

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Not blocking ads. Have manually changed DNS on 2 android devices, 1 Windows device. Nothing blocked if disabling UBlock

Actual Behaviour:

Not blocking ads. Can access via ip address/admin but not when accessing via pi.hole/admin

Debug Token:

os70nvd1ys

Your log looks fine and all seems to be working fine. How did you set the Windows device to use Pi-hole for DNS?

Right clicked on the connection (wired), then double clicked on the ipv4 , then set IP for Pi-hole as primary, then secondary I made it 8.8.8.8.. Since it wont let me add just one DNS. The reason I was curious is because hen i disable UBlock on the test sites the ads show up, If I enable it they don't.

Sometimes this can affect ad blocking performance.

Which ads specifically are you seeing?

The ads I am referring to is this site.

https://blockads.fivefilters.org/?pihole

If I disable UBlock it says I need a ad blocker like pihole. If I leave UBlock enabled it says I am blocking ads.

As far as the DNS settings for whole network blocking. I have a Comcast XB6 and you cannot change the DNS. If I do the DNS for pihole it will still be using DHCP because I cannot disable that either on the modem. Those settings are not accessible. I am contemplating getting a Edgerouter X and bridging the modem.

If you have a spare WiFi router, put it in bridge mode (keep in mind that this will disable Router functionality of Gateway and turn off the private Wi-Fi network) and use the Pi-Hole as your DHCP server.

You can also add your own Modem to the account (if you don't use the phone lines) and remove the rented one (saving some $$ in the long run) (you can get the supported devices from BestBuy, Walmart, Amazon ...).

Yeah, if you can't change the DNS or DHCP options on your router, you'll need to set the devices to use Pi-hole manually.

Think I am going to do it this way for now. Eventually will get a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X, then bridge the modem. Si it would be modem (bridged)>ERX>switch. Pi is wired to switch now. So, I am assuming by bridgeing the modem that disables DHCP on that then hands it over to the ERX, whch i would disable, to make the PI handle DHCP. Correct?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.