PiHole not showing devices separately

Expected Behaviour:

_PiHole showing every device that uses it separately

Actual Behaviour:

I just got into the whole PiHole thing and overall its working great. I set the PiHole as DNS Server in my fritzbox and it seems to work just fine. But the PiHole is showing every device that got its DNS settings from the router as just one device: the Router. If i change the DNS settings on a device manually, so that it can connect directly to the PiHole, it will show up as a separate device and IP. Thats probably an expected behaviour, but it makes it very difficult to differentiate between all the devices that automatically got sent to the PiHole from the router. Is there any way to change this?

Most likely, you have setup your Pi-hole as your Fritzbox's upstream router (under Internet|Zugangsdaten|DNS-Server ).

While this filters all DNS traffc in your local network, inlcuding Fritzbox guest WLAN, Pi-hole will see all DNS requests as originating from a single machine: your Fritzbox.

To change this, either

• disable upstream DNS resolution and switch to local DNS-resolution
    or
  • just add local DNS-resultion

By handing out Pi-hole as local DNS server to your clients, clients will ask
your Pi-hole directy, allowing Pi-hole to see the correct origin of DNS queries.

For a short guide how-to do this, search this forum.
If you can read German, a link to one of my previous posts might suit you as well: Verzweiflung pur - Lange Verzögerungen & Ladezeiten oder gar keine Funktionen - #13 by Bucking_Horn
It's focused on just local DNS resolution, though.

When reading, Try clicking the black arrows before some of the post's head lines

to expand detailed instructons, just like here :wink:

I already changed the "DNS-Server" settings for IPv4 and IPv6. But as far as i know i cant change anything else there.
Where would the local DNS-resolution settings be?

Did you change it only there?

yes.
where else could i find dns options?

That’s only upstream, so that would not be sufficient.

For further instructions on setting up Pi-hole as local DNS server with Fritzbox , have a look at the detailed instructions I’ve already linked in my previous post above:

Edit:
In case you haven't discovered that yet (as you have just joined):
Colored words signal a link in this forum, so you can actually click on "Verzweiflung pur..." above, but not here :wink:

ok i got it thanks
i didnt realize that there is a local dns option with the dhcp settings.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.