Pihole not resolving DNS

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Pihole should be resolving DNS and blocking ads

Actual Behaviour:

Nothing is getting resolved, domains on blocklist is showing as 0

Debug Token:

can't upload debug log so I've a pastebin of it
https://pastebin.com/ntTWyUpe

Other information: I'm running Unbound, it was fine last night before I turned off my router this morning, after that, pihole isn't working

I tried that before posting, however looking at past issues, one was saying to edit /etc/resolv.conf which I did and now it's up and running again

It showed 127.0.0.1 which might have caused an issue? (sorry very very new at this, still trying to learn)
Also my pihole is powered off my router, so if i turned off my router, the pi turns off as well. This would also cause an issue?

Problem is with start dnsmasq after update to version 4.0
pi@raspberry-pi:~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/dnsmasq status
● dnsmasq.service - dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dnsmasq.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2018-08-09 04:52:16 CEST; 8min ago
Process: 1667 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/dnsmasq systemd-exec (code=exited, status=2)
Process: 1664 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/dnsmasq --test (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

sie 09 04:52:15 raspberry-pi systemd[1]: Starting dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server...
sie 09 04:52:15 raspberry-pi dnsmasq[1664]: dnsmasq: składnia sprawdzona, jest prawidłowa.
sie 09 04:52:16 raspberry-pi dnsmasq[1667]: dnsmasq: nie udało się otworzyć gniazda port 53: Adres jest już w użyciu
sie 09 04:52:16 raspberry-pi systemd[1]: dnsmasq.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=2
sie 09 04:52:16 raspberry-pi systemd[1]: Failed to start dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server.
sie 09 04:52:16 raspberry-pi systemd[1]: dnsmasq.service: Unit entered failed state.
sie 09 04:52:16 raspberry-pi systemd[1]: dnsmasq.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Another process is working on port 53

Okay I think I've somehow fixed the problem, stuff is getting resolved again when using pihole as DNS and with pihole running unbound. Here's the latest log if anyone can identify any other issues

https://pastebin.com/caQyRaSS

With v4.0 dnsmasq should be disabled as pihole-FTL (_FTL_DNS) takes over this function.

And @potatoinapot, according to your log, everything seems to be functioning.

Pi's should generally be shut down from the command line to close open files prior to shutting down. If your Pi is getting power from your router, when the router goes down that's a power loss to the Pi as well.

Do you have your Pi plugged into the router USB port for power? What model Pi are you running?

Are you seeing any problems with Pi-Hole now?

Yes Pi is plugged into router, running Pi 3B+
So I should never power off my router with the pi connected?

No issue as of now.

I was having issue but editing the conf file to 1.1.1.1 allowed me to repair the pihole which it was unable to with 127.0.0.1 together with all the errors such as no domains on blocklist and no resolution of DNS

Yes I went to check the file and it's back to 127.0.0.1

I'll see if I can connect it to another power port

A Pi 3B+ needs up to 2.5 amps to run at full load. Most USB ports do not provide that kind of power. I recommend that you get a good quality charger that is rated for 2.5 amps at 5V. Adafruit sells a nice one that is rated at 5.3 V and uses a heavy gauge cable (to limit voltage drop at the load end). I have a 3B+ running on a 2.5A Apple power brick. Inadequate power has led to many weird Pi problems, as documented on this forum and elsewhere.

Another thing you can do to improve availability and reliability - either put the Pi on a UPS or get an inexpensive battery pack/USB charger and put that inline between the Pi and the wall. This will give you a buffer against sudden power loss and even a small-ish battery pack will run your Pi for a few hours.

I turn off dnsmasq service in my system, but pi-hole still can't resolve properly dns:
pi@raspberry-pi:~ $ ping wp.pl
ping: wp.pl: Odwzorowanie nazwy jest chwilowo niemożliwe
Where can I set pi-hole to running unbound?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.