PiHole not logging anything after some time

Hi, i'm using docker to run pi-hole and it works for a while, but then just stops until I reboot the machine
I have a fritz router; router DHCP sets the DNS as the router iteself, and the rotuer has primary DNS as the pihole and secondary as the AdGuard DNS as a fallback. for ipv6 I used AdGuard for both

I've rebuilt it today and now I'm getting no traffic at all, though it is the preferred DNS on the router (see above)

debug token is: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/z1krvlx0y6

Please can someone assist debuggng ?
many thanks
Pete

It is not.

Your FritzBox may pass DNS traffic to any of the three additional DNS servers you've provided, guided by rules only the FB manufacturer knows.

If your FB would strictly prefer IPv6 over IPv4, your Pi-hole would never see any DNS requests.

In order to avoid that, Pi-hole has to be the only DNS server in your network.

Hey, thanks for that. you are of course correct and changing the DNS back to to DHCP default forced all traffic back via the pi-hole.
The reason I did that though was because the pi-hole kept going offline. The Windows host machine with the docker instance was up, but I had huge empty periods of DNS and no internet, so I wanted an alternative DNS to the pi-hole when it fell over, like AdGuard as a failover. Pi-hole is configured to use AdGuard as DNS1 and DNS2 but when it falls over. I guess the answer is to have a second pihole instance as an alternative DNS.. but why was the pihole failing so frequently? I cannot give you a debug yet, since it is currently ok, but when it does fail I'll post here. I guess I have three weeks from this reply :slight_smile:
cheers for your reply

One other thing that sticks out from your older debug log:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Pi-hole log
-rw-r--r-- 1 pihole pihole 67348 Jun 22 03:40 /var/log/pihole.log
   -----head of pihole.log------
   [✗] Jun 22 12:01:36 dnsmasq[416]: bad address at /etc/pihole/local.list line 2 
   [✗] Jun 22 12:01:36 dnsmasq[416]: bad address at /etc/pihole/local.list line 4 (https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/why-do-i-see-bad-address-at-in-pihole-log/3972)
   Jun 22 12:01:36 dnsmasq[416]: read /etc/pihole/local.list - 2 addresses

This is likely due to:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Setup variables
    IPV6_ADDRESS=0:0:0:0:0:0

Pi-hole's IPv6 should be left blank if you have no IPv6 connectivity.
Since you do run a dockered Pi-hole, just don't provide an IPv6 address for the container.
By default, Docker is currently IPv4 only anyway.

hey thanks for that. I've set the IPV6= nothing now

so far so good. any views on using AdGuard DNS instead of 8.8.8.8 ?
My thinking is that AdGuard should filter any hosts my pihole lists missed..
cheers again

That's really a personal choice.

Just keep in mind that AdGuard (or any filtering upstream DNS server) may block domains that Pi-hole doesn't, even those that you explicitly whitelisted in Pi-hole.
You'll be able to tell by the status Blocked (external, NXRA) in in Pi-hole's Query log.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.