Pihole not blocking ads

Expected Behaviour:

Pihole installed on Rapsberry Pi 3b+ for network wide ad blocking.

Actual Behaviour:

Not blocking ads. Was configured on another network initially. Corrected network setup on Raspberry Pi for static ip and network gateway. Ran a reinstall but still not working. Can access GUI. See reports of blocked ads but ads still showing.

Debug Token:

sbvoqjzlds

Thanks
Simon (Patreon supporter)

Your debug log shows the following activity in the past 24 hours - it is/was receiving queries and filtering as you have specified:

[2020-10-06 16:21:29.442 543M] Imported 11747 queries from the long-term database
   [2020-10-06 16:21:29.442 543M]  -> Total DNS queries: 11747
   [2020-10-06 16:21:29.443 543M]  -> Cached DNS queries: 154
   [2020-10-06 16:21:29.443 543M]  -> Forwarded DNS queries: 8938
   [2020-10-06 16:21:29.443 543M]  -> Blocked DNS queries: 2655
   [2020-10-06 16:21:29.443 543M]  -> Unknown DNS queries: 0
   [2020-10-06 16:21:29.443 543M]  -> Unique domains: 1487
   [2020-10-06 16:21:29.443 543M]  -> Unique clients: 7
   [2020-10-06 16:21:29.443 543M]  -> Known forward destinations: 2

Where are you seeing ads?

Mainly on every page visited where there are ads. This installation is for a family member. Mine is in a docker running on unraid. Both installations have the same databases. I compare web pages and mine is ad free and on the one running on Raspberry, we can see ads. Many pages were tested with same results. At first it was a network setting problem as the Raspberry Pi was programmed on my network. I solved the gateway problem today but it didn't solve the ad blocking problem. When I go over the Pihole settings, it's all the same as mine (except network).

Edit: Yes it seems to filter queries. The counter number changes but ads stills appears.

I ran over this page but I don't think it relates to my problem. As I wrote, both machines are running the same databases, visiting same sites, same browsers have been used etc... but different results. All tested sites with my Pihole have ads blocked successfully but not on the Raspberry hosted one.

Are you seeing DNS queries to that Pi-hole from the client on which you are seeing ads?

Yes I see queries. However now it seems that some sites have ads blocked but not all the sites we use to compare. When I point router DNS to Pihole, I note that the pages are slower to load.

Browsers may bypass Pi-hole if DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) is enabled.

Firefox allows to suppress by means of a canary domain, and Pi-hole has that one covered. In Chromium based browsers, you should disable it via that browser's settings.

Your Pi-hole may also be by-passed via IPv6.

In addition, if Pi-hole's IPv6 address is not configured correctly, that may lead to slower DNS resolution for those clients that prefer IPv6 over IPv4 (IPv4 is used only after contact to non-existent IPv6 server fails).

Check Pi-hole's current IPv6 addresses:

ip -6 address show

Compare if one of them matches the IPv6 as shown in Pi-hole's Settings | System pane.

If your router allows for it, you could also check if disabling IPv6 altogether would make a difference.

I disabled IPv6 on the router. It did make a slight difference on the speed however ads are still appearing. For DoH, his browser is set as mine and no influence from what I can see. Here's the result for ip -6 show command. No IPv6 address found in the Pihole settings.

Could a total reinstall of Raspberry Pi OS and Pihole would solve the problem at this point? I'm starting to be really confused over that problem.

It's not yet clear where the problem lies and what caused it, so that question cannot be answered reliably. That said, since you claim that you already ran an unsuccesful reinstall, I'd consider it unlikely to change anything.

How many devices are connected to your friends network?

And just to be sure: Was the debug log you provided generated by your machine or by your friends Pi-hole?

4 devices. 2 desktops, 1 ipad and 1 apple tv.

The report was from my father's Pihole.

Just to recap:
1- Set up the Rasp Pi and the Pihole on my network. Put same databases.
2- Installed on my father's network. Corrected for his network.
3- Found problem. Tried to reinstall Pihole but unable. Discover after searching the error code that it was due to network misconfiguration (gateway). It retained gateway ip of my network. Edited config file in Raspberry Pi to correct gateway IP. Reinstalled Pihole (but not Pi OS). Problem still there.
4- Tried two different routers, 3 different browsers, tried with antivirus disabled. Checked Windows 10 network config. Compared settings with my own installation. Nothing.
5- Produced report and provided you with token.
6- Checked logs for queries. ok. Numbers of queries is growing.
7- Check DoH. Disabled IPv6 on router.

I'm not expert and I've learned many things. I like challenge and this one is good one. :wink:
One of my friend set up similar installation with a Raspberry Pi and have no problem.

Update

I started over from scratch and reinstalled Raspberry Pi OS and Pihole. It seems to have resolved the problem as a few devices stopped receiving adds (2 Ipads and 1 computer). However 2 computers are still receiving adds. I suspect AVG antivirus cause those two computers are running it and not the other (Norton).

Any known issues with AVG you would be aware of ?

They probably proxy/intercept all the traffic on the computers you've installed it on.

See Literally no ads being blocked - #39 by mayk1

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.