PiHole-FTL Crashing in the middle of the night

DL6ER, will do, though I’m not expecting it to, the problem started the evening after I upgraded and hasn’t happened since I deleted the FTL database. I suspect it’s maybe the combination of something in the upgrade script and the nightly job, deleting the database forces it into a fresh state rather than an upgraded state without any data that conflicts.
However, I accept this is supposition and will need the logs to confirm.

Pi-hole does not apply upgrades automatically, i.e. pihole -up has to be invoked manually, and it also doesn't delete its database every night.

What upgrade script and nightly job are you referring to?
Are you perhaps scheduling something in addition to Pi-hole?

Note that:

Deletion of one of Pi-hole's database files (edit: gravity.db) is triggered only once a week on gravity updates, by one of the cron jobs listed by Dan.

And if this happens again, we need a debug log.

There’s no additional pihole cron jobs that I have configured.

Have I mistakenly assumed that the debug log had been uploaded? What was the link I was told to post from ‘generate debug log’?

Debug logs expire after 48 hours on our server.

Ah, that’s the problem then as I’d uploaded through the debug method the debug log. Not much I can do if it’s deleted on the server.

Re additional scripts the only script I have running as a cron is Dynamic DNS update of ip, which uses ddclient. Unrelated.
However what I noticed was that in the debug error log was FTL seemed to be dieing right after the generated errors for the FTL database access. Querying the FTL long term database through the UI generated the same errors but didn’t crash it.
As mentioned before the port was then locked after crash until I ran either the pihole command restartdns or did the same through the ui. Attempts to query the dns failed until pihole was restarted.

Thank you, that answers one question.

What about:

And with regard to jfb's request for a fresh token:

The request was for a new debug token once your issue reoccured.

Does that mean you have indeed encountered your issue again?
Then please provide the logs as suggested by DL6ER and jfb.

No. As mentioned previously the issue was recurring every night around 12 midnight until I deleted the FTL database.
It hasn’t happened since.
I may have a backup of the system before it happened, I might be able to try and recreate the issue and get a fresh debug token one evening but this will take time to arrange

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.