Pihole-FTL continually being killed and started on two seperate pihole docker instances (on separate hardware)

Pihole-FTL continually being killed and started on two seperate pihole docker instances (on separate hardware)

[i] Storing downloaded domains in new gravity database...
  [✓] Storing downloaded domains in new gravity database,
  [i] Building tree...
  [✓] Building tree,
  [i] Swapping databases...
  [✓] Swapping databases,
  [i] Number of gravity domains: 294323 (241795 unique domains),
  [i] Number of exact blacklisted domains: 0,
  [i] Number of regex blacklist filters: 14,
  [i] Number of exact whitelisted domains: 211,
  [i] Number of regex whitelist filters: 0,
  [✗] ,
  [i] Cleaning up stray matter...
  [✓] Cleaning up stray matter,
  [✗] DNS service is NOT listening,
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec],
  Pi-hole version is v5.2.4 (Latest: v5.2.4),
  AdminLTE version is v5.4 (Latest: v5.4),
  FTL version is v5.7 (Latest: v5.7),
[cont-init.d] 20-start.sh: exited 0.,
[cont-init.d] done.,
[services.d] starting services,
Starting lighttpd,
Starting crond,
Starting pihole-FTL (no-daemon) as root,
[services.d] done.,
Stopping pihole-FTL,
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec],
Stopping pihole-FTL,
Stopping pihole-FTL,
Stopping pihole-FTL,
Stopping pihole-FTL,
Stopping pihole-FTL,
Stopping pihole-FTL,
Stopping pihole-FTL,
Stopping pihole-FTL,
Stopping pihole-FTL,

With the amount of information provided, any response would be an absolute shot in the dark and a hope that maybe the guess at a solution would work.

This looks strange.

Is this a new defect or is it happening "since forever"?

No, It started happening yesterday. I've since wiped the pi-hole data, and they've both come back.

Have you done anything to your system yesterday (or in the last days)? Like updating Pi-hole, updating the system, rebooting, etc. etc.?

Keep in mind this is a dockered Pi-hole installation.

tordenflesk, if you want us to help you, help us understanding your problem and installation.

To that end, you could start by providing a debug token (as already asked for by our template) as well as any Docker run command or docker-compose.yaml you use to start your Pi-hole container.
You may also want to detail if this happened during initial installation or for a long-running set of dockered Pi-holes, and if the latter, whether you've changed anything recently that could possibly affect Pi-hole (be it software like host OS or Docker updates or a newly introduced piece of network equipment like a dedicated firewall).

Without that information, there cannot be any sound advice.

1 Like

I see this happen on mine when I make changes to things like Custom DNS. Every time I submit a change, like adding or deleting and entry, FTL restarts because it needs to reload the resolver. Can you enable timestamps and maybe think back to if you were doing anything when these restarts happened?