Pihole doesn't flush logs

Thank you. Time zone settings have helped. It now works well.

If I decided to change the deletion after a week, can it be? = Week or is there any command?

These are the only config variables and values: GitHub - pi-hole/FTL: The Pi-hole FTL engine

I ran into the same issue:
pihole-FTL often used 100% one one core, crashed often. There was a high processor usage over a long period of time and my second Raspberry with the exact same pi-hole setup wasn't affected.

Clicking flush logs in the web interface did nothing, same for pihole -f.
Today I discovered my log was already 700 MB in size. manually deleting it created it with the wrong permissions (640 instead of 644 --> even though it might be better to use 640 and change the group to pihole as the log contains sensible data). The wrong log permission made pihole-FTL crash on startup.

Reinstalling didn't solve the problem as I copied my settings back --> until I discovered that /etc/pihole/logrotate was owned by pihole on the affected pi and by root on the working one. (Logrotate refused to execute it because of unsecure permissions but I didn't see any error messages in /var/log/syslog or messages...)

As of pihole -r (/repair): it might be good to add a step where it repairs all file permissions:
right now most files in /etc/pihole are 644 or 600 with root:root as owner.
Except for pihole-FTL.db (pihole:pihole) and whitelist.txt, adlist.txt and blacklist.txt (pihole:root).
(I assume that's needed to change it over the WebUI?)

DING DING DING!

I did:

# sudo chown root /etc/pihole/logrotate

and my logs were able to flush again. My logs had grown to many GB in size and I was stumped as to what was happening.

Agree with the suggestion that a pihole -r should reset file ownerships and permissions to "optimal" settings.

Hello,

I'm using the latest version and the deletion of charts does not always work in 00:00 = TIMEFRAME = today.

When I create a file: /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf so the latest version of PI-Hole stops showing charts .. :frowning:

Is it any other way to solve it?

Thanks

There is a time index glitch at midnight in FTL v3.3. It is already fixed in FTLDNS which might be the next version to be released.

1 Like