Pihole doesn't block anything on my Xiaomi Mi A3 using Chrome

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Wish me luck!

Thats just IPv6 addresses for the devices and not the IPv6 DNS servers assigned/discovered am I right ?

According to the first answer on the SuperUser thread that I linked to above, it should do just that! Or am I misreading it?

Hmm I was afraid that might be the only way...I guess I'll have to consult The Oracle some more and find out how to do that on Android. Thanks for the tip :wink:

With above one, your querying the OS configured DNS server 192.168.1.100 to lookup the domain "fd77:bff1:b4d5::1".
Syntax is:

nslookup <DOMAIN> <DNS_SERVER_IP>

LOL oops! How about this instead:

C:\Users\username>nslookup google.com fd77:bff1:b4d5::1
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  fd77:bff1:b4d5::1

*** UnKnown can't find google.com: No response from server

I've now tried these instructions to disable IPv6 on the phone, as well as setting a static IP and DNS settings for my WiFi connection, but Android still seems hell bent on using the DHCP-provided settings. This is really getting beyond a joke now...

If the Windows box isnt configured for IPv6 (from ipconfig /all), it wont be able to lookup through IPv6 DNS servers.

C:\>nslookup google.com fd77:bff1:b4d5::1
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  fd77:bff1:b4d5::1

*** UnKnown can't find google.com: No response from server

If some IPv6 RA are offered or a DHCPv6 server is found, devices may still try to assign a DNS server via IPv6 as well, but without a global prefix, they won't be able to reach out to the public Internet.

It would depend on the device whether it would try to assign IPv6 addresses at all in absence of both, so to be sure you really dump IPv6, you'd have to switch off each device.

But as far as IPv6 bypasses to public DNS servers are concerned, you're safe if no global prefix is offered.

Yeah well I thought that by disabling IPv6 on the router, I would be ensuring that no global prefixes would be offered. But I guess I was wrong:

ipv6-test.com results from my phone

Ahh good point! Didn't think of that! D'oh!

Trying the same command on my phone indeed resolves google.com properly...so I guess that IPv6 DNS server is definitely the cause of the issue. Now if only I could find a way to reliably turn the @#$%ing thing off...

Anyway thanks everyone for your time and responses. I'll do some more digging and figure out how to set static DNS settings on my phone, and actually make them stick.

Dont run Android updates yet if want to continue using the "Terminal Emulator" app for diagnosing!
Mine was updated couple days ago.
I wanted to try out something and when opening the app, I got a warning with something like its not compatible anymore.
None of the commands entered work anymore.

:frowning:

LOL thanks for the warning, but I actually use Termux and have been for years. I highly recommend it! :wink:

Just letting everyone here know that I've found a solution: I simply needed to reboot dnsmasq after following the suggestions here and IPv6 is finally no more!! At least on my network :wink:

A massive thank you once again to everyone who helped me diagnose this frustrating issue :smiley:

Switched to Termux as I cant do without me prompt ... thx!
Never skip a step and read till the end :wink:

Glad I could be of some service to you as well, since you've helped me so much! You are most welcome :smiley: I actually prefer Termux; not only does it work on newer Android versions but it has a whole host of shortcuts that make using it really easy. And you can pretty much install any regular *nix package (or at least the ones I've tried) with the built-in package manager. So cool!

LOL I know right?? And it's kinda obvious too...if you've spent more than 5 minutes configuring anything to do with OpenWRT, you should kinda presume that every command should be followed by reboot LOL. Either that or the equivalent command to just restart the service/s you've been working with :wink:

Exploring Termux still.
With that last Android update, no DNS server data is displayed on my phone either using getprop.
And when run nslookup pi.hole in Termux, it defaults to querying Google's DNS @8.8.8.8.
A well, at least I got my prompt back :wink:

LMAO love the IT crowd video...classic! :rofl: Also good to know that the weird getprop behaviour has more to do with Android version than anything else.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.