PiHole Docker Container in Photon OS 4.0 Shutting Down

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Issue description: I had a PiHole container running on VMWare Photon OS 3.0 which has run for a couple years. I upgraded to Photon 4.0 and now the container is in an endless loop of starting up and shutting down because I have "--restart unless-stopped" specified. Without that line, it simply shuts down. Unfortunately I didn't make a snapshot before upgrading (yeah, that's on me) so I broke the internet at home for a bit. I deployed a fresh new VM using the Photon OVA from VMware, and I'm getting the same behavior, which leads me to think it's a compatibility issue between this container and Photon 4.0. I'm not seeing any logs in the new VM/container other than install.log, which just shows that it created new configs.

My Photon deployment is stock from https://github.com/vmware/photon/wiki/Downloading-Photon-OS version 4.0 GA with the latest updates ("tdnf distro-sync"). I've deployed the container using the following docker run command:

docker run -d --name pihole
--dns=127.0.0.1
--dns=(LAN IP of a domain controller running on another Photon VM)
--network=host
--restart unless-stopped
-e ServerIP=(LAN IP of this VM)
-e WEBPASSWORD="Something I shouldn't post publicly"
-v /var/lib/docker/volumes/etc-pihole:/etc/pihole
-v /var/lib/docker/volumes/etc-dnsmasq.d:/etc/dnsmasq.d
pihole/pihole

Expected Behaviour:

I expect the container to run like it has since I deployed it.

Actual Behaviour:

Container shuts down, or repeatedly starts/stops with "--restart unless-stopped".

Debug Token:

I can't seem to get into the container to run "pihole -d". I get "Error response from daemon: Container 8224808f46fd1225e88fdd1b12a40c5d05719d6e1b409282b335b2130b7103c0 is restarting, wait until the container is running" when trying to connect using "docker exec -it pihole bash".

https://docs.pi-hole.net/main/prerequisites/

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.