PiHole directly on Routers (Tomato, MerlinWRT, DD-WRT, openWRT)

First of all, congratulations on your amazing project. Ιs a very good project and I personally think his need is more imperative than ever!

It can be installed on OpenWrt ?
I have the Asus RT-N66 router to which I have installed the OpenWrt firmware.
The features that your software offers are awesome, hey are really amazing! I thought it would be even more flexible and easy to use ( & user friendly ) if it is possible to install it on router.

Is this possible?
What is your point of view?

Thank you.

IMO an AD blocker like PiHole would be a great addition to open router OS's like DD-WRT, openWRT etc, that being said, I think PiHole itself should stay focused on the single-board computers of its roots. Maybe a new project for an open router ad blocker....

Hello everyone and congratulations for the realization of the script.

For the owners of an Asus router (With MerlinWRT), it would be very much a guide (even a video tutorial) with the steps to be taken.

Example:

1. bla bla bla
  2. bla bla bla
  3. bla bla bla

Thanks so much!

Did this project go anywhere? Was there a fork? Were some of the assumptions in the Pi-Hole scripts removed (out to variables)?

Just an aside, there is an existing adblock system for MerlinWRT routers - https://github.com/decoderman/AB-Solution

So this is all well within the realm of technically feasible, but it may require significant changes to the codebase. I wouldn't expect anything for a while unless someone outside of the core dev team decides to pick this up as a pet project.

@mrkno
finally have you installed pihole in router with lede..?
could you let me knwo how you have done to install newt..?
thanks!

while dated in 2015, it seems Debian on your router is a thing;

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianWRT

the hiccup being so many steps, and not the most efficient setup as its run ontop of other firmware, but its a start I think..

Pihole on a router would be sweet, but also debian on a router would be sweeter as!

Dnsmasq is included by default in DD-WRT and lightttpd can be installed via opkg.

Compatibility - Pi-hole documentation is a list of the platforms that are currently known to be compatible with FLTDNS. You can try to compile FTL for your router but as we do not offer binaries not currently compiled by our own CI/CD process we would not be able to provide binaries. We also are not currently able to package for repository deployment via apt/yum/opkg/etc...

I didn't say anything about FTLDNS. I only replied with information about DD-WRT.

FTLDNS takes the place of dnsmasq (has dnsmasq embedded), so would need to be installed to run Pi-Hole on the router.

I just got a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X and installed OpenWRT on it.

If anybody needs help testing, please call me.

It would be great to have pi-hole in the router… what is more, probably is the right place.

Why not a merge/fusion?? In other words, talk to the developer of Diversion —what is called now the AB solution— and try to implement the pi-hole benefits on their solution.

Probably much better than start form scratch.

Is there a repository somewhere with the code for this application?

Seems that it was for the previos versions, but I can't find any information about the current version. The code seems to be the open source with GPL3 license.

Hello all,

I am new to this Community, wanted to check if Pihole could be made to run on Asus RT-68U with Merlin OS running

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

For your router I would suggest you investigate this project:

https://diversion.ch/diversion/diversion.html

Thank you, I have already installed the diversion but was checking option for Pihole, read some articles where users tried and then stopped. So wanted check if there was any other option.

I have a Netgear X10 (R9000) Router with a 1.7GHz Quad Core processor and plenty of RAM to spare. It is also running the latest available version of DD-WRT. I’m willing to be a test subject if needed. :wink:

EDIT: Just realized this was a zombie thread. :sweat_smile:

Considering both of those GitHub repos are over 3 years old, I'm not surprised it doesn't work.