Pihole cannot block beap.gemini.yahoo.com adware in the latest version

The issue I am facing:
I cannot block the beap.gemini.yahoo.com in pihole on mail.yahoo.com when I visit the Yahoo Mail, however I have added it on both wildcard and normal host: 2023-02-20_11-47-58
Details about my system:
latest pihole install: Pi-hole v5.15.5 FTL v5.21 Web Interface v5.18.4
What I have changed since installing Pi-hole:
nothing.

Is anybody facing the same issue?
Thanks.

It sounds like you have a whitelist entry which is overriding your blacklist entries. Check this in Tools > Search Adlists and entering beap.gemini.yahoo.com and clicking Search exact match.

The middle rule in your screenshot is the only one needed to block all *.gemini.yahoo.com subdomains including beap.

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/8OChbw88/
This is the token.
Thanks.

No Chrislph,
I don't have any whitelist with that domain, I have looked into them all. You can in fact look into my screen cast to see that they are all Blacklist. Thanks.

In that case you may have another DNS server being used which is bypassing Pi-hole. Your debug log will help reveal if this is the case. The command below may help show this too. It should show Server as your Pi-hole IP and, if it does, you should be able to see that domain in the Query Log and whether it was blocked or not.

nslookup beap.gemini.yahoo.com
1 Like

it's only the PI-hope which responds to DNS queries: 2023-02-20_16-33-52

• and it's blocked in there.

Strange is that I'm still seeing Ads in Yahoo mail :slight_smile:

In your opening post you wrote "I cannot block the beap.gemini.yahoo.com in pihole", but your screenshot shows that it is blocked. Can you run the command again and then check the Query Log and report if it is showing and whether it is blocked.

Note that you can copy and paste the text straight into here, no need to screenshot.

The thing is this: it is blocked: when I try to access it from the browser bar in FireFox latest version, it does not open it.
However, in the same browser, in mail, on Yahoo website, I'm seeing all commercials from this URL, side ads and bottom ads.
Somehow, it is passing through in-mail: 2023-02-20_17-18-34

Makes more sense now?

Let me give you another example from the sidebar in mail: 2023-02-20_17-20-29
This Ad comes and leads directly to beap.gemini.yahoo.com and when I click it, it does not open it, gets instant drop from the PI.
However, the Ad is available as you can see with full graphics.

In your screenshots it looks like the ad links to the beap domain but that does not mean that it comes from the beap domain. You may be misinterpreting what you are seeing. The key points to check are:

1. Is Pi-hole the only DNS server on your network? Your debug log will help confirm that. Pi-hole staff will look at it when they can.
  2. Is IPv6 involved in any way which might create a workaround?

If you go to the mail page and load it and then go to your Query Log and inspect it and you see that the beap domain is indeed blocked, that confirms that Pi-hole is working as expected. This means the adverts are coming from a different domain or via a different route which is not blocked. You can use the Query Log to track that down and Blacklist it with the button at the end of the row. This FAQ can also help with that.

OK thanks!

Then, I'll close this bug report as it is not in fact a bug, but a loop hole, some subdomain from Yahoo is loading these Ads.

Keep an eye on your Query Log and you'll be able to confirm it's blocked for peace of mind. Check the domain in Tools > Search Adlists as detailed above and you may find it's already blocked by an Adlist, in which case you can safely delete your three extra rules. Then as long as your Pi-hole is the only DNS server in use, you'll know you're covered.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.