PiHole blocking on Laptop, but not IOS devices

Hello,

I am a novice when it comes to this kind of stuff, so I will do my best to explain. I followed the instructions and was able to get PiHole setup and changed my router to use PiHole as it's DNS. Everything works great on my Windows 10 machine but seeing different behavior on my iPhone and iPad.

If I add, for example, www.espn.com to the blacklist, I can't get there on my Laptop, as expected, but I can still open the app on my iPhone. Also, some ads seem to be blocked on my Laptop but allowed on my IOS devices.

Also, in the query log, I am seeing an IPv6, which is odd cause it is disabled on my router.

Expected Behaviour:

Ads blocked on all devices

Actual Behaviour:

Most ads blocked on some devices

Debug Token:

deh5oana12

Your debug log shows connectivity problems. Your pihole device is not able to reach the gateway

[i] Default IPv4 gateway: 192.168.1.1
   * Pinging 192.168.1.1
[✗] Gateway did not respond.

This is normal behavior. Your clients are asking for AAAA records of some domains. Those requests can be send over IPv4 and IPv6. The (IPv6)-IP they will get as a result will be useless for them, because with disabled IPv6 in your router they have no way to contact them. But that doesn't stop them from requesting the address.

Ok, so I guess your first part about connectivity issues has me confused.

Everything seems to be working fine.

Your debug log showed this error. In your case, it appears to be transient and not affecting the subsequent tests that show Pi-hole is working properly.

Typically when a subset of clients are not having blocking with Pi-hole, it is because those clients are using a DNS other than Pi-hole, or they are assigned to a Pi-hole group with no blocking applied (not in your case, though).

I would carefully check your settings in the IOS devices, particularly if you have recently updated to IOS 14. General > VPN may have some settings for private DNS or DNS over https (I don't recall the exact wording). You don't want any of this, or the IOS device will use a DNS server other than Pi-hole.

It's showing as VPN not connected.

So, good, I guess???

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.