Expected Behaviour:

• Queries Blocked would be higher
  • I would stop seeing Ads

Actual Behaviour:

• Queries Blocked is less than 30%
  • I still see Ads

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/i4e2721zdc

Why do you believe this to be the expected behavior? Your block rate is primarily dependent on the client using the Pi-hole and your internet habits. 30% is completely reasonable, and is likely to change hourly.

As a single point of comparison (and to illustrate that the block rate isn't why you are seeing ads), I have four Pi-holes running now. Each serves a different subset of clients, and I don't see ads Block rates as follows for the past 24 hours:

28.7%, 39.8%, 56.9%, 16.1%.

Where are you seeing ads? Some ads (i.e. YouTube) cannot be blocked by Pi-hole since they are served from the same domains as the content.

I wasn't 100% sure if 30% was normal or not. I included it just incase it was important. I have manually set the DNS on my computer and phone to the pi hole. I'm using speedtest.net as my test site and I still see all 5 Ads, even after specifically adding the Domain to my blacklist. (yes getting the same ad from same domain).

Update: It is blocking Ads on Apps on my phone.

From the computer on which you are seeing Speedtest ads, from the command prompt or terminal on that client (and not via ssh or Putty to the Pi), what is the output of

nslookup pi.hole

What browser are you using? Is the browser doing its own thing like secure DNS?

If Chrome, go to settings and under Privacy & Security then security you will find Secure DNS. Select Current Service provider.

Also, what is the DNS server on your local PC that is seeing the ads. Could it be that your router is propagating its own DNS servers that are maybe from your ISP?

Server: DietPi.lan
Address: 192.168.0.6

Name: pi.hole
Addresses: 2601:680:c003:5eb0:a4fe:ee62:abf8:c24e

Looks good

Ok I didn't know chrome had its own DNS I am no longer seeing any ads on the speedtest website. It looks like its working great now! I added a P*rn blocker that wasnt working on any devices but I guess that took a second to kick in. Thank you so much for the help I think the issue is solved.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.