Pi-hole working and blocking ads but on web interface shows 0 requests

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Dashboard on the web interface shows number of Total Queries, Queries Blocked and Percent Blocked

Actual Behaviour:

All 3 shows 0

Debug Token:

rf2k57k6y1

Here is the version that I run: Pi-hole Version v3.3.1 Web Interface Version v3.3 FTL Version v3.0

I run it on Raspberrypi 2 (Raspbian). I have done:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
pihole -r

Thank you for your help.

Are you running any queries through the DNS itself?

If you're not using Pi-hole as your DNS server, you have to specify the Pi-hole IP as your DNS server on your clients.

Try to run a ping on a known blocked domain (flurry.com) from the console on the raspberry pi.

See if it resolves into the raspberry pi IP.

Hi @RamSet thank you for your response.

I uses Pi-hole as my DNS server and I set that up on my router. I don't set up secondary DNS.

Ping flurry.com correctly resolves to the raspberry pi IP.

Can you create a new debug token so that the developers can take a look at it?

And you are sure your router doesn't forward the WAN side DNS servers in that case ?!
Some do so it's best to fill in the Pi-Hole IP in both fields :wink:

Also : Is this a new install ? Did you wait 24 hours so the graphs and database can fill up ?
This is mandatory since version 3.3 !!

You're running Wheezy with an unsuporrted older version of dnsmasq, both of which are not supported by the latest Pi-hole. I would look at updating your OS first before running the latest version of Pi-hole.

Sorry I have been away.

As requested I have created a new debug token i3kwhc9nhh

I can see some errors regarding SQLite is not installed, could this be the issue?

I don't think the router forward to another DNS server because I can see all ads blocked. But anyway, I have just filled the second field with the pi-hole IP address and will see if that makes any differences.

And yes, by now it has been few days since I did the upgrade.

I can see latest Raspbian is based on Stretch. If being on Wheezy definitely is the issue, I will reinstall my Raspberry Pi.

You debug log states

Raspbian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)

So reinstalling might be a good idea. The issue with Wheezy is that FTL cannot analyze the logs generated on Wheezy any more as they are in an old format we don't support any more (dnsmasq hasn't been updated for several years on Wheezy). While blocking still works, FTL cannot generate any statistics as the query details cannot be analyzed.

2 Likes

Ok thanks. I will re-install my raspberrypi.

I have installed my raspberrypi and it is now running Stretch. Re-installed pi-hole and all is good I can see the query counts and pretty graphics.

However, I experience massive slowness in browsing when I use pi-hole. Speed is normal if I don't use pi-hole.

I read this article and following the instruction I have enabled ULA in my router and updated setupVars.conf

It doesn't seem to help. I will try the ip tables tonight to see if that helps.

The question is: using the same version of pi-hole why does this happen now and didn't happen in my old setup (on Wheezy)?

I created a new debug log and new debug token: 1ec45fp7ni

What is the output of pihole -g?

Hi @Mcat12 here is the output

[i] Neutrino emissions detected...
  [✓] Pulling blocklist source list into range

[i] Target: raw.githubusercontent.com (hosts)
  [✓] Status: Retrieval successful

[i] Target: mirror1.malwaredomains.com (justdomains)
  [✓] Status: No changes detected

[i] Target: sysctl.org (hosts)

[i] Target: zeustracker.abuse.ch (blocklist.php?download=domainblocklist)

[i] Target: s3.amazonaws.com (simple_tracking.txt)

[i] Target: s3.amazonaws.com (simple_ad.txt)

[i] Target: hosts-file.net (ad_servers.txt)

[✓] Consolidating blocklists
  [✓] Extracting domains from blocklists
  [i] Number of domains being pulled in by gravity: 145404
  [✓] Removing duplicate domains
  [i] Number of unique domains trapped in the Event Horizon: 122436
  [i] Nothing to whitelist!
  [✓] Parsing domains into hosts format
  [✓] Cleaning up stray matter

[✓] Force-reloading DNS service
  [✓] DNS service is running
  [✓] Pi-hole blocking is Enabled

Make a new debug token now (there were issues which this gravity run should have fixed).

New debug token: 74qlfvr96q

Thanks.

You don't appear to have IPv6 internet access. Run pihole -r to reconfigure without IPv6.

Thanks @Mcat12. I am not sure why I don't have IPv6 internet access because my router supports it.

But anyway, it seems my issues are not resolved as I have switched to FTLDNS as suggested in my other post: Raspbian version that will work out of the box - #3 by DL6ER

Thank you for your helping to get my pi-hole works as it should.

Do you mean your issues are resolved?

Oops sorry ... yes I meant my issues are resolved after switching to FTLDNS. Thanks.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Pi-hole working but on web interface shows 0 requests

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.