Pi-Hole Update wird nicht installiert

I do know that.

But if I run pihole -up it still reports a new version is available and installs it (or re-installs 5.3.4).

I just verified this. Right now the pi is updating again.

Same here.

However, good to know that I'm running the latest version of Pi-Hole. Thanks for checking!

If you are on the latest version, stop running pihole -up.

usually it reports "no update available" then and quits.
That's why we are reporting this issue.

Something has changed on the github HTML page source such that:

curl -sI https://github.com/pi-hole/FTL/releases/latest | grep --color=never -i Location | awk -F / '{print $NF}' | tr -d '[:cntrl:]'

now returns: v5.3.4socket-worker-5029ae85.js

There is another line that matches the grep -i Location.

Grepping for 'Location:' would seem to fix it.

2 Likes

Don't run pihole -up in a script or cronjob.

Who says i do so?

Just a reminder.

Is there a reason for this recommendation? I am having the same issue (FTL keeps updating to the same version). This was never an issue until recently. Something changed?

GitHubs API hat sich geändert, siehe Pi-Hole Update wird nicht installiert - #11 by DanSchaper.

Does it mean that I have to adjust any settings?

The link was to the pull request that will change the Pi-hole code to resolve this problem. You don't have to do anything other than ignoring the update notification.

2 Likes

Thanks!

The recommendation of "Don't run pihole up on a cron job or scrip"? We've always said that. It's not a smart thing to do and the first time you update to a non-backwards compatible update or major version change then you'll understand why. Seems like it doesn't matter what we say, people do it anyways and it will cause you all kinds of problems. The only way to learn the lesson is to have it happen to you, I guess.

2 Likes

I strongly agree with Dan. Installs or updates not initiated and/or monitored by a human can lead to a world of trouble. It's not like there are new versions every few hours or even days and I, personally, prefer to read the release notes and such first. See who might already have problems that I would like to avoid, etc.

If you are croning and adding the --check-only option, that's slightly different and I would think, low risk. But there is already a cron job for that, I think, which provides the data to the admin UI when there is a published update.

A post was split to a new topic: FTL update funktioniert nicht

Als ich zur Kontrolle danach nochmals pihole -up eingegeben habe, ging das gleiche Spiel wieder von vorne los. FTL nicht aktuell, Installation wird durchgeführt, usw.

Nach dem dritten Mal haben ich es gelassen und nicht noch einmal probiert.

Im Web-Interface von Pihole wird allerdings auch kein verfügbares Update angezeigt. Installiert ist (und war bereits vor dem Start des Updates heute) FTL v.5.3.4. Es scheint sich trotz dreimaliger Installation also nichts verändert zu haben.

ich habe das gleiche Problem :thinking:

As reference, issue reported on github: pihole -up > do update FTL from 5.3.4 to 5.3.4 · Issue #3986 · pi-hole/pi-hole · GitHub

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.