Pi-hole + Ubuntu Mate 16.04.2 - DNSMasq hostname resolution issues

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Performing nslookup or ping of hostname of host on local subnet should resolve with FQDN and IP.

Actual Behaviour:

Upon reboot, pi-hole is unable to resolve hostnames until I restart dnsmasq.

Debug Token:

rpsfz6wj9y

Pi-hole is installed on Odroid XU4 running latest version of Ubuntu Mate minimal. Pi-hole dhcp is disabled, custom ipv4 upstream server is set to 192.168.1.1. Router is a Ubuquiti EdgeRouter X, and pi-hole has been assigned 192.168.1.10 via static mapping in the DHCP settings. ERX is configured to assign 192.168.1.10 as a single DNS server to all client devices. Everything works great and ads are blocked by the pi, but local hostname resolution will fail until I manually restart dnsmasq from cli. Restarting pi-hole ftl doesn't fix the issue, rather it breaks resolution until I restart dnsmasq.

I know in certain versions of Ubuntu dnsmasq starts up before the networking stack is ready and crashes, causing you to restart dnsmasq on every bootup. Maybe this is affecting you too?

This article says the same thing, but no updates in a few weeks. Curious to see if there's something I'm missing in my config anywhere. It's definitely a bug in Ubuntu, as I had no issues with Pihole on a RPi3 running Armbian.

Another link supporting NetworkManager causing issues with eth0 at startup:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/44z1b9/how_to_make_pihole_start_automatically_when_i/czvege9/