Pi-hole stops working after 1 hour

I was able to successfully install and configure Pi-hole multiple times, but I find that it will only work for an hour and then it will stop receiving and blocking queries. The included debug is from AFTER pi-hole breaks. I thought maybe there was a cron job scheduled every hour but there isn't.. Up until the 1 hour mark everything works beautifully. Only way I can manage to get it up and working again is by doing a repair and reboot. Picture is an example of stats after 1 hour.

Debug wile working: y7zzj4jvqg
Debug after breaking: 9lyaxtkwj6

And here's another one...

You have bind installed which conquers the DNS port at some point. This is the point from which on your Pi-hole does not work any longer.

2 Likes

If you have bind9 installed as well as dnsmasq, you could bind the daemons to different IP addresses.
eg. you setup second IP address on Pi or whatever and have dnsmasq bind to one IP address and bind9 itself have it bind with the second ip address.
That way the 2 wont conflict and you can still forward one to the other.
Needs a bit of playing around or maybe someone else got smarter solution ?

1 Like

Thank you - I have since uninstalled bind from my system, as I actually have no use for that alongside of dnsmasq!

Appreciate the feedback, but I have simply removed bind, because I don't actually need two DNS servers running.

So I take that as in: Works as of now? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes it is working as of now! Been going strong for about 3 hours, so I think the issue is resolved.