Pi-hole status is enable but not blocking adds

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Should block adds when the DNS is set as the IP of rasbberry pi. Even with pi-hole running its not blocking adds

Actual Behaviour:

sometimes block adds most of the time doesn't

Debug Token:

mb4mmnjeim

1 Like

Sounds like your clients have a secondary DNS server configured alongside Pi-Hole resulting in sometimes ads not being blocked because the other DNS server is asked for resolution who doesnt know of any blacklists ?

Check DNS servers assigned on clients with (for Windows):

ipconfig /all

And for Linux clients:

cat /etc/resolv.conf

pi@pi-server:/etc/pihole $ cat /etc/resolv.conf

Generated by resolvconf

nameserver 127.0.0.1

sorry I am very new to Linux. But just to let you know I have a mail router provided by my ISP and then I have my apple time machine to extend my network. I have configured both with my raspberry pi IP adderss as primary DNS server.

Thats from Pi-hole (server) and not from the clients ?

Sorry about that here:
MacBook-Pro:~ gmac$ cat /etc/resolv.conf

Mac OS X Notice

This file is not used by the host name and address resolution

or the DNS query routing mechanisms used by most processes on

this Mac OS X system.

This file is automatically generated.

nameserver 192.168.1.1 # router address
nameserver 192.168.1.12 # pi-hole

That shows you have two DNS servers configured on the clients causing ads to leak through.
You need to remove the secondary DNS server IP 192.168.1.1 (I presume this is your router)) from your DHCP settings on router on the DHCP client/LAN page.

EDIT: After you changed DHCP settings, the DHCP lease on the clients need to renew.
You can do that by disconnecting/reconnecting network on clients or reboot.
And check again on client:

cat /etc/resolv.conf

1 Like

I thought if I configure the DNS server on my router, it'll automatically block all ads on my network, is it not true? Do i have to manually assign DNS server on every device on network?

Sorry I didn't see your last comment. I'll reboot

Not true if your clients have two DNS servers configured/assigned as explained before.

No.
This can be done using DHCP on the router or Pi-hole.

Thank you this solved my issue. After renewing the lease everything works perfectly.

Below one on client is only displaying Pi-hole IP address now ?

cat /etc/resolv.conf