Pi-hole sends traffic, but gets no response

The issue I am facing:

Pi-hole is recognizing client requests and accepting the internet traffic, but there is never a response back to the client. Navigating to google.com in a web browser connected to the WAP results in request timeouts, and similar behavior is found when running a traceroute:
$ traceroute google.com traceroute: Warning: google.com has multiple addresses; using 173.194.219.139 traceroute to google.com (173.194.219.139), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets 1 raspberrypi (192.168.4.1) 1.900 ms 2.524 ms 3.239 ms 2 * * *

Details about my system:

I am running a Raspberry Pi 4B, 8GB RAM that I've set up as a routed wireless access point per these instructions, with the exception of not installing dnsmasq on the Pi itself. I've installed Pi-hole in Docker with the v5.1.1 image, and have configured dnsmasq there to act as the DHCP server for the WAP. I'm able to connect to this WAP and communicate with the Pi on that network, just not out to the internet.

What I have changed since installing Pi-hole:

1. Enabled the DHCP server in the DHCP settings in Pi-hole, updated the range of IPs, and added the WAP's IP address as the gateway IP (192.168.4.1).
  2. Added the ServerIP environment variable to docker-comose.yaml, setting it to the WAP's IP, and modified the password and timezone variables as well. Also set up to use host networking.

pihole_debug.txt (20.8 KB)
docker-compose.txt (808 Bytes)

Thanks for the help!

Update on this: it's started working. No idea why, but I'm now able to get responses from websites, and I can see that the traffic is being filtered through Pi-hole. I think it just needed to know I was on to it.

I take it back - it was the firewall. I didn't have IP forwarding set up in ufw.

I ran this:
sudo ufw route allow in on wlan0 out on eth0

And after that everything started working. I had disabled the firewall for something unrelated earlier and just happened to try a site again while on the network.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.