Pi-hole says 'DNS Service not running' even though service is functional

Hint:

I think so, see quote from dnsmasq documentation:

-a, --listen-address=<ipaddr>

Listen on the given IP address(es). Both --interface and --listen-address options may be given, in which case the set of both interfaces and addresses is used. Note that if no --interface option is given, but --listen-address is, dnsmasq will not automatically listen on the loopback interface. To achieve this, its IP address, 127.0.0.1, must be explicitly given as a --listen-address option.

1 Like

Added localhost to that config file I mentioned earlier, restarted pihole-FTL and everything comes up green now. Still strikes me as odd that this worked previously in v4 but not now in v5, and I haven't changed any settings - just ran the pihole -up command. Thanks folks!

root@lurker:/etc/dnsmasq.d# cat 02-pihole-enp0s31f6-only.conf
listen-address=192.168.1.4,127.0.0.1
bind-interfaces

1 Like

That is certainly odd as nothing changed in respect to detecting pihole-FTL running (see below):

pi@noads:~ $ pihole -v
  Pi-hole version is v4.4 (Latest: v5.1.1)
  AdminLTE version is v4.3.3 (Latest: v5.1)
  FTL version is v4.3.1 (Latest: v5.1)

pi@noads:~ $ less /usr/local/bin/pihole
[..]
statusFunc() {
  # Determine if service is running on port 53 (Cr: https://superuser.com/a/806331)
  if (echo > /dev/tcp/127.0.0.1/53) >/dev/null 2>&1; then
    if [[ "${1}" != "web" ]]; then
      echo -e "  ${TICK} DNS service is running"
    fi
  else
    case "${1}" in
      "web") echo "-1";;
      *) echo -e "  ${CROSS} DNS service is NOT running";;
    esac
    return 0
  fi
[..]

Might have just been related to some other tweak I made to settings way back in 2018 that was a transparent problem/landmine until the v5 update, though I for the life of me I can't think of what it might have been. Needing it to only bind to the single 192.168.1 interface rather than every IP available has been the only complication I've ever had with pihole.

If I setup something complicated, I always make sure I have it documented :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.