Pi-hole on Pi not working

Expected Behaviour:

I originally had my Pi-Hole running on my Imac virtual machine, I wanted to learn on how it works properly before I move it to my Pi. I have installed the PI-Hole on the PI but to no avail, I have tried using the setting from the PI-HOle runing on the Imac not no luck.

-operating system Raspberry Pi
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian

-hardware]_Raspberry Pi

Actual Behaviour:

When I change the DNS on my iphone or Imac both loose connection to my WIFI, I have double and tripple checked and got my wife to re-enter on both but still nothing

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/Gb64WmBz/

Your DHCP server (the router) is not passing out the IP of Pi-hole for DNS:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Discovering active DHCP servers (takes 10 seconds)
   Scanning all your interfaces for DHCP servers
   Timeout: 10 seconds

* Received 336 bytes from wlan0:10.0.0.1
     Offered IP address: 10.0.0.191
     Server IP address: 10.0.0.1
     Relay-agent IP address: N/A
     BOOTP server: (empty)
     BOOTP file: (empty)
     DHCP options:
      Message type: DHCPOFFER (2)
      server-identifier: 10.0.0.1
      lease-time: 172800 ( 2d )
      renewal-time: 86400 ( 1d )
      rebinding-time: 151200 ( 1d 18h )
      netmask: 255.255.255.0
      broadcast: 10.0.0.255
      router: 10.0.0.1
      domain-name: "phub.net.cable.rogers.com"
      hostname: "raspberrypi"
      dns-server: 64.71.255.204
      dns-server: 64.71.255.198
      --- end of options ---

DHCP packets received on interface wlan0: 1
   DHCP packets received on interface eth0: 0
   DHCP packets received on interface lo: 0

Pi-hole is at IP 10.0.0.93.

Ok so how do I fix this, I have tried with numerous re-installations but can’t get it to work.

The problem is not with Pi-hole. The DNS settings on the router are incorrect. The router DNS should be set to the Pi-hole IP.

Ok I see, so what I am doing is because of the TV’s going through the router I am changing the DNS on each of my other devices, I don’t want to make changes on the router. How would I fix this issue. Like I mentioned I had it running through my IMac virtual machine but for some reason I ca t get it to work on the Pi. Thank you

I also just found out that I cannot change the setting on my router as those settings are not available.

Use Pi-hole as your DHCP server, and disable DHCP on the router.

Excellent I am going to try this, however one question. Will this cause an issue with my TV service which is streamed.

Thank you

Maybe. If Pi-hole is blocking things for that TV, you have several options.

• Whitelist the domains that are being blocked.

• Put the TV in a Pi-hole management group with no blocking. Pi-hole would then be effectively disabled for the TV.

Hmmm, ok I see. So me being a newbie I think that I would rather set each device to a pi-hole DNS rather then having my router. Both my wife and I work from home, we connect to the WIFI which gets us to work via VPN. I am worried about screwing something up and not being able to work. As I mentioned my first dabble at Pi-Hole was via Imac running as a virtual machine and I set up all of the devices I wanted to go via Pi-Hole, would you be able to help me troubleshoot why I am not able to do this now. I have tried on my iphone and Imac and all I get is a notification that my wifi is not connected to the internet.

Thank you

So this is not going to work for me, I am not able to disable the DHCP on my Rogers Ignite Hub, I have reached out to them and no joy.

If you configure each of your client devices (TV, laptops, computers) to use a static IP, it won't matter if your router is still acting as a DHCP server because your devices won't ask your router for and IP address assignment in the first place (nor will it ask for DNS server addresses).

Change the DHCP range on the router to a single IP, and make that the IP of the Pi-hole. Then, set the DHCP range on the Pi-hole to something that doesn't overlap that IP.

Example - Pi-hole at IP 22.

Set router DHCP from 22 to 22.

Set Pi-hole DHCP from 25-200.

1 Like

Is this what you mean

Yes. Note that the router has a DHCP range of two IP's, so you might have a client other than Pi-hole try to get one of them. Watch for that.

OMG, ok so when I did that my son's computer was not connecting to the internet, holly cow. I almost prefer to set all of the devices DNS manually rather then having all of the traffic going through the PI. So going back to doing it that way, what could be the reason of no connection when I manually change the DNS setting on my phone for example, when I change it my phone does not connect to the WIFI.

Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.