Pi-hole on Synology diskstations

Synology Diskstations are more then just NAS - they act as a small server where you can install packages on, a lot of them usable via via web interface. (a few examples: transmission bittorent client, nzbget, sickbeard, couchpotato, etc)
At the moment i do not have a Raspberry Pi available to install pihole on., but my diskstation DS115 is running 24/7. It would be perfect for me if i could install Pi-Hole on this diskstation.
I understand some diskstations support Docker, so maybe thats a solution for some people. My diskstation (DS114) doens't support docker. The most convenient way would be if a package would be made to add to a custom repository, but i'd be happy anyway if i could install pi-hole in some way (I've tried via the Debian chroot package from https://synocommunity.com/, but the installer tells me there is not enough free space. Probably because it doesn't install on /volume1/ but on the diskstation itself
Hope we can find a solution for this!
p.s. I realise the name Pi-Hole wouldn't be right anymore. I suggest Sy-Hole :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Good idea! Maybe it Will even work better on the Synology router!

1 Like

+1 Would be great to have Pi-hole running on other hardware then Raspberry Pi's

1 Like

It does! Pretty much anything you can run a debian based distro on. So that includes Debian and Ubuntu! We even officially support Centos/Fedora!

We have had some discussion on github about synology NAS, so this would be a great place to continue that discussion!

1 Like

I currently use the default DNS server from Synology as a Sy-Hole ad-blocker.
Please read my post for more info:
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=78126&start=45#p451753

I've made it so you can use the same adblock/trackers lists Pi-Hole uses, and you can also add a custom blacklist and whitelist to it. The whitelist is to overrule some of the the unwanted URL's in the Pi-Hole blacklists.

I know this isn't exactly the same as Pi-Hole, doesn't have a nice UI, isn't a package, and takes up more RAM when importing multiple huge lists. (but it's very simple to install though, read the post)
It can update automatically ever day or week (or whatever you like) so you always have the latest version of the blacklists.

I would really like to see that Pi-Hole gets it's own Synology package, but till that time this works fine for me. :slight_smile:

I have just added an item in the FAQ to install Pi-hole on Syno with chroot:

2 Likes

A while ago i've added this request to the old board. I didn't notice the move to discourse so didn't keep track of the progress that has been made!

Seems like it's working now. When I have some time i'll try it out!

Next step would be making a package out of this, but i guess that's something for the synology community? I've added a package request @ SynoCommunity: [Package Request] Pi-Hole · Issue #2501 · SynoCommunity/spksrc · GitHub

Closing to free votes. There is an FAQ article describing the installation.