Pi-Hole not working after messing with 04-bypass.conf

I tried to exclude a client using 04-bypass.conf. I must have done something wrong because after I added the client to the bypass section it stopped working:

● pihole-FTL.service - LSB: pihole-FTL daemon
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/pihole-FTL; generated)
Active: active (exited) since Sun 2020-01-26 09:19:30 EST; 10min ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 363 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/pihole-FTL start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Jan 26 09:19:02 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting LSB: pihole-FTL daemon...
Jan 26 09:19:02 raspberrypi pihole-FTL[363]: Not running
Jan 26 09:19:25 raspberrypi su[739]: (to pihole) root on none
Jan 26 09:19:25 raspberrypi su[739]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user pihole by (uid=0)
Jan 26 09:19:30 raspberrypi pihole-FTL[363]: dnsmasq: bad hex constant at line 1 of /etc/dnsmasq.d/04-bypass.conf.save
Jan 26 09:19:30 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started LSB: pihole-FTL daemon.

My latest debug token is 72if5glgqb

If you did add that file and its presumed backup only (i.e. you did not tamper with any other files in /etc/dnsmasq.d/), deleting 04-bypass.conf as well as 04-bypass.conf.save should get your Pi-hole back up and running.
Don't forget to restart Pi-hole's DNS service afterwards

If you want your extra config to work, go ahead and fix the errors in line 1:

Note that this error is not occuring in 04-bypass.conf, but rather in 04-bypass.conf.save.
EDIT: You may also want try deleting that latter .save file only and see if your config runs ok.

I decided to reinstall Raspbian since I did not keep a log of what exactly I changed. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.