Pi.hole not resolvable and still see ads

Expected Behaviour:

When i type "nslookup pi.hole" on my desktop PC (Windows 10) it can't resolve pi.hole.
I've set a static ipv4 + ipv6 IP for the raspberry inside my router (fritzbox) and also on the raspberry itself. I've changed the default dns server inside the router for both ipv4 and ipv6. I've expected that this is enough to see no more ads on any page.

• raspberian (up-to-date)
  • rapberry pi 3b

Actual Behaviour:

I can open the web interface with the IP address and also with the raspberries hostname, which is not pi.hole. The dashboard also shows it blocks some traffic but i still see everywhere ads. I am not sure what i have to do now, i searched through the whole board. If i have a different hostname than pi.hole set to the raspberry, will i actually still be able to call pi.hole/admin from the browser?

Debug Token:

PvTlUHcB

What is the complete output of the command?

Server:  fritz.box
Address:  fd00::9a9b:cbff:fe61:9367

*** pi.hole wurde von fritz.box nicht gefunden: Non-existent domain.

And this one?

nslookup pi.hole 192.168.178.25

Server:  pi.hole
Address:  192.168.178.25

Name:    pi.hole
Addresses:  fd00::b941:c5ce:eefa:4009

The client is not using Pi-hole for DNS. The IPv6 DNS server shown in your first output is not Pi-hole. The second command, routed to Pi-hole by IP, returns the correct answer.

so the nslookup shows fd00::b941:c5ce:eefa:4009
Do i have to set this ipv6 inside
/etc/pihole/setupVars.conf
/etc/dhcpdc.conf
and in the ipv6 dns settings from the router.

Ist that correct? Just for my understanding.

It appears this IP is being offered by your router. As a first troubleshooting step, disable IPv6 on your router (if you can) and renew the DHCP lease on the Wimdows client.

1 Like

I did exactly what you've said. I disabled IPv6 in my router and in the windows client i did the following:

ipconfig /renew

After that the nslookup pi.hole is just looping in timeouts

nslookup pi.hole
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  fd00::9a9b:cbff:fe61:9367

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.

Also my router is not callable anymore from http://fritz.box only through IP - so i guess now the pi-hole dns works just all lokal DNS settings are away

That's the ULA address of your FritzBox, so your FritzBox is still advertising its own IPv6 address as IPv6 DNS server.

Verify that your FritzBox configured IPv6 DNS server matches one of the IPv6 addresses of your Pi-hole host machine.

Use e.g.

ip -6 address show eth0

on your Pi-hole host to list known IPv6 addresses for its eth0 interface.

i followed your guide from this thread Verzweiflung pur - Lange Verzögerungen & Ladezeiten oder gar keine Funktionen - #13 by Bucking_Horn and still i see in windows that it fetches both ipv6 addresses for the dns. The first entry is the fritz.box the second one my pihole
Screenshot 2021-11-09 171508

i managed from your guide already, that even after reboot the ipv6 stays the same and starts with fd00 - i added the ipv5 to /etc/dhcpcd.conf and /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf and also to /etc/pihole/local.list

also in the fritzbox dns settings i added the new static ipv6 like mentioned in your guide. i still get this output on my windows mashine with nslookup pi.hole

Server:  fritz.box
Address:  fd00::9a9b:cbff:fe61:XXXX

*** pi.hole wurde von fritz.box nicht gefunden: Non-existent domain.

It's working now. In the end it was just dns cache. After reboot my computer finally got the static ipv6 dns entry. Your german guide helped alot. Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.