Pi-Hole not getting any queries

Expected Behaviour:

I am running Pi-Hole on my Intel-Nuc. Just installed. Its running on docker. I`ve got a FRITZ!Box and there I only changed under Network Settings --> IPV4-Settings the Local-DNS-Server to 192.168.178.90 - The local IP of my Intel-Nuc. Also here is the docker compose configuration:

pihole:
    container_name: pihole
    image: pihole/pihole:2023.05.2
    ports:
      - "853:53/tcp"
      - "853:53/udp"
      - "8084:80/tcp"
    environment:
      TZ: "Europe/Berlin"
      DNS1: "192.168.178.1"
      DNS2: "no"
    volumes:
      - '/srv/homeautomation/phiole/etc-pihole:/etc/pihole'
      - '/srv/homeautomation/pihole/etc-dnsmasq.d:/etc/dnsmasq.d'
    restart: unless-stopped

Actual Behaviour:

Not blocking anything on my pc nor mobile phone.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/dglwFwCj/

Why is the upstream DNS set to the router? If the router is using Pi-hole for DNS, and Pi-hole is using the router for DNS, that's a DNS loop.

Set your upstream DNS to a public DNS like Cloudflare, Quad9, Google, etc.

After you made your changes on the DHCP settings in the router, did you renew the DHCP leases on all clients so they pick up the new DNS assignment?

Whoopsi. Changed the DNS Upstream now to Quad9 and as fallback Cloduflare. After that I did ipconfig /release into ipconfig /renew on my Windows PC. But still nothing in the queries from my PC except some stuff I cant really identify. "PTR" which are Two IP-Adresses one starting with 90. and one starting with 1. and both ending with in-addr.arpa.

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/PTyxAeQB/

Where did you make this change? In the router DNS settings or in Pi-hole?

Note that in Pi-hole, there is no "fallback". All available DNS servers can be used and the traffic will favor the fastest among your choices.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/ftldns/dns-resolver/#improve-detection-algorithm-for-determining-the-best-forward-destination

These are reverse IP lookups. The client is asking for the name of the client at that IP, and the IP is listed in reverse in the output. Example:

nslookup 192.168.0.113 127.0.0.1                          
113.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa	name = Synology.

This shows in the dnsmasq log as follows:

Jul 19 11:58:58 dnsmasq[12465]: query[PTR] 113.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa from 127.0.0.1
Jul 19 11:58:58 dnsmasq[12465]: /etc/hosts 192.168.0.113 is Synology

From the command prompt on the PC (and not via a SSH session to the Pi terminal), what are the outputs of the following commands:

nslookup pi.hole

nslookup flurry.com 172.21.0.13

Is the Pi-hole IP the only DNS IP displayed when run below two on that Windows client?

netsh interface ipv4 show dnsservers

netsh interface ipv6 show dnsservers

You set port 853 form your host to receive DNS queries, but the devices will send requests to port 53.
Pi-hole won't be able to receive the queries.

2 Likes

Soo. I that fixed it. Had to change dnsmasq port from linux server itself.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.