Pi.hole local storage not showing in Safari

I'm posting this in case there's some bug element to it, perhaps in how Pi-hole handles local storage. However it could equally be a Safari bug, or not a bug at all. Thoughts welcomed.

Using Safari on the Mac if you wish to clear the cache and cookies for a specific site you can do so easily by going to Safari > Preferences... > Privacy > Manage Website Data... > Search for the site name > click the site in the results > Remove.

I have used this for years when testing site-related stuff to ensure that previous sessions are fully purged. I have used this to experiment with Pi-hole on occasion, eg if I have changed drop-downs. I do the above and search for 192 and it shows a few local sites from the network here and I can remove the Pi-hole data by selecting it and clicking Remove.

safari_192

Since the recent changes in how /admin/ is handled I have got into the habit of using pi.hole instead of the IP address. I would expect this to be present in Safari in the same way, but for some reason it does not show up at all.

safari_hole

I've tried combinations of pi, pi.hole and 192 to see if I can find the data but it does not appear. If I log out and close the tab and log back in, the drop-down settings are remebered. If I use a private window and close it and repeat, they are not, so the local data is indeed being saved in the normal case.

By contrast, Chrome on Windows shows both variants as expected in ⋮ > Settings > Privacy and security > Cookies and other site data > See all site data and permissions > Search for the site name. I can then use the bin icon to clear just that entry.

chrome_192

chrome_hole

One difference between Safari and Chrome is that on Safari I can enter pi.hole and it loads the admin login page, whereas on Chrome entering pi.hole does a Google search for the term. I have to use http://pi.hole on Chrome to force the local login page. So I tried that on Safari too in case some auto-detect/redirect logic was triggering a bug, but no difference.

Is this a bug in Safari or some weird interaction between how Pi-hole saves data and the way Safari handles its unique name, or something else entirely?

Pi-hole v5.15.3
FTL v5.20.1
Web Interface v5.18.3
Debug token https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/iPBr7NTf/
macOS 10.15.7 Catalina (most recent version supported on this Mac)
   Safari 15.6.1
Windows 10 Enterprise Eval version1809 (used for testing here)
   Chrome 109.0.5414.120

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.