Pi-Hole is DNS and DHCP server, yet IP addresses aren't resolving to hostname on the dashboard

Expected Behaviour:

Hostnames should be displayed where applicable, instead of all IP addresses

Actual Behaviour:

Only IP addresses are being displayed on the Dashboard / query log. In the DHCP settings, hostnames are displayed for current leases.

Debug Token:

reph1l2s68

This debug log generated after a clean restart.

Try two things for quick troubleshooting.

1. Clear your browser cache and reload the page.

2. Try a different browser

Still persists. Cleared all history, and tried in both Firefox and Chromium.

Have you seen client names in the past (and this is new behavior), or has it always been this way with Pi-Hole DHCP?

Did you just clear history, or did you clear all caches in the browser(s)? Clearing history doesn't get rid of stored content like javascript, etc.

Yes, I cleared all caches. Chromium wasn't even installed prior. I also tried this on a Windows computer using the Edge browser for giggles, didn't seem to change anything. I may need to wait for leases to update again? I noticed one of my machines is returning its hostname, but none of the phones, other laptops, etc on the network are.

I would definitely renew leases. If that doesn't resolve it on all devices, you can add the client names in the Pi /etc/hosts file to map them that way.

Yeah, I plan on doing that for devices that have static IPs on my network, but I'd rather avoid that for all of the dynamic devices...

Good point. It's not much use with dynamic addresses. I have everything that is routinely on my network on static IP's for that reason. I group in chunks of IP ranges so it's easier to read the pihole.log which shows IP addresses.

IOT start with .10. Wife's stuff starts with .30. Mine with .40, etc.

1 Like

I seem to recall this worked before (it's been a while since I've used pihole for DNS) especially with pihole being the DHCP server. It should "just work" even for dynamic leases.

You are correct.

Make sure /etc/resolv.conf is set to use localhost for DNS.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.