Pi-hole doesn't respond after one day

Hi. I keep installing pi-hole again and again. After install, it works roughly 1 or 2 days and after that it becomes unresponsive. Updating through command line is fine, no issues. But browsing to the admin page will result in half a page being loaded, unresponsive menu's, one time even a notification that I needed to whitelist the actual IP it is hosted on! It is literally unusable and I am not sure what to do about this. Browsing on any device feels slower as well, I reckon this has to do with resolving the DNS, but not sure 100%.

Running latest version on clean Raspberry Pi 2B with Jessie Lite.

What to do?

About it getting slower is due to how many other things you run on the pi, and the connection between your PC, switch, pi, router.

and when 'reinstalling' your pihole installation are you fully removing the old version first?
If it still happens I'd wipe the SD card and reinstalling Jessie. I'm sure the developers will have a better idea of what's going on though.

I think we should first check your debug log. Send us the token generated by

pihole -d

and we'll start there.

Also, how many clients do you have connected to your Pi-hole?

Hi. This is the generated token: ne6lki7uet

I can't reach pi-hole frontend anymore, because it simply says that 192.168.1.13 is blocked! When I ssh into my Pi and try to whitelist 192.168.1.13, it obviously states that it isn't a valid domain.

My question is, why on earth would pi-hole (repeatedly) block it's own ip?!

Thanks for any help, this is really frustrating.

That is in fact intended behavior. Since ads may request something like doubleclick.net but due to the fact that Pi-hole sends them to his own IP, they will land on 192.168.1.13. The message you are seeing comes from the fact that you have not hosted any content on 192.168.1.13 and in this case, the blocking page comes up automatically.

Try

192.168.1.13/admin

:wink:

Wow, I feel like an idiot. Thanks!