Pi-Hole causes very slow resolution to Websites

I recently installed Pi-Hole and initially everything was working great. However, now all websites that are attempted to be loaded take quite a bit of time to begin loading. It doesn't matter what website it is....all exhibit the same behavior. Looking at the forums, one of the things I saw that might cause that is having IPV6 turned on but I've ensure it is not being used on Pi-Hole since Xfinity is not supporting it. As soon as I change my DNS servers back to 1.1.1.1 pages load quickly as they had in the past.

Any suggestions as to what I can try to resolve the issue?

Thanks

Ray

Since your ISP is not providing you with IPv6 service is there any reason why you just don't disable your Pi-hole from using IPv6 for DNS?

That is what I did but the problem still exists.

Please generate a Pi-Hole debug log, upload when prompted and post the token here.

I’ve tried several times to upload the file. The debug works fine, however it fails the upload.

This will temporarily reset the nameserver on the Pi to bypass Pi-Hole DNS.

sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

edit nameserver 127.0.0.1 to nameserver 9.9.9.9 or your preferred third party DNS service, save and exit

Run pihole -d and upload the debug log

I’m at a loss to explain what is going on…I’ve tried two different DNS Servers with the same result:
[?] Would you like to upload the log? [y/N] y
* Using curl for transmission.
[✗] There was an error uploading your debug log.

• Please try again or contact the Pi-hole team for assistance.
  • A local copy of the debug log can be found at: /var/log/pihole_debug.log

What does nslookup google.com return?

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I finally got the log to upload by turning off my firewall which appears to be causing part of the problem. The token is j3tjzj9ss0. I ran the debug with the firewall on and then uploaded the debug file with the firewall off. I’m using a firewalla blue.....beginning to wonder if that isn’t the reason for the problems with Pi-Hole...if so, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Was the log able to provide any help?

You have provided that debug token as an answer to yourself here, so it likely has escaped the attention of a mod or developer.
As these tokens are valid for a certain time only before they get deleted automatically, it's probably best to supply a new one.

Also, in order to alert a specific forum member of a post relevant to them, or requiring their attention, do reply to one of their post directly, or try @ing them, as I do now for you: @rayandbrenda.

This will temporarily reset the nameserver on the Pi to bypass Pi-Hole DNS.

sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

edit nameserver 127.0.0.1 to nameserver 9.9.9.9 or your preferred third party DNS service, save and exit

Run pihole -d and upload the debug log

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.