Pi Hole broke suddenly - temporary failure in name resolution now

Ok, so the DNS server listening on you host's 127.0.0.1 is indeed Pi-hole.
Your host machine can resolve flurry.com via 9.9.9.9, a public DNS resolver.
And your Pi-hole at 192.168.2.2 correctly blocks flurry.com as expected.

Let's see what happens when you ask Pi-hole to resolve google.com:

dig google.com @192.168.2.2
1 Like
root@raspberrypi:~# dig google.com @192.168.2.2

; <<>> DiG 9.11.5-P4-5.1+deb10u6-Raspbian <<>> google.com @192.168.2.2
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 14698
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
; OPT=15: 00 08 ("..")
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;google.com.                    IN      A

;; Query time: 15 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.2.2#53(192.168.2.2)
;; WHEN: Wed Apr 20 22:35:15 EDT 2022
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 45

root@raspberrypi:~# ping google.com
ping: google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution
root@raspberrypi:~#

Thank you for taking the time to help so far

Option 15 signals an EDE error code, where an info-code of 8 stands for an error in DNSSEC validation (Signature Not Yet Valid).

Please check the time of your Pi-hole host machine.

The most common cause for DNSSEC related failures would be wrong time information on the computer it runs on. RPis would be especially prone to that, as they lack a batttery-backuped RTC, potentially leaving them off-sync after longer periods of power-downs, until they can update their time from an NTP server. And with DNSSEC enabled, they cannot do so, as they won't be able to resolve a time server name to an IP address.

Thanks again for your reply - I am a novice user and not exactly sure how to check or correct that. I tried 'time' and that gave me some weird milliseconds output so now I tried 'date'

root@raspberrypi:~# date
Wed 20 Apr 2022 10:54:45 PM EDT

It is wrong indeed - and this device was unplugged for most of the day yesterday while the Fiber technicians installed my new gigabit internet. Is there a way to make this thing automatically sync when it gets online? I will also google this now and see if I can figure out how to change it

This may help:

How to Sync Time with a Server on Raspberry Pi? – RaspberryTips

Try setting your time manually, e.g. by

sudo date -s '2022-04-22 20:00:00'

Adjust actual time as appropriate for your location, and also make sure your RPi's time zone information is correct (check via raspi-config).

Raspberry Pi OS will try to sync when online, but as explained, that would fail if DNSSEC is enabled while the time is still wrong.

You could work around this by not using 127.0.0.1 (your DNSSEC enabled Pi-hole) as the resolver for your Raspberry Pi OS, or -provided your router supports acting as a local time server- by adding your router's IP to the list of time servers to be used by your RPi OS.

root@raspberrypi:~# raspi-config

Current default time zone: 'America/New_York'
Local time is now:      Wed Apr 20 23:12:25 EDT 2022.
Universal Time is now:  Thu Apr 21 03:12:25 UTC 2022.

I set the time zone to something similar to mine (Toronto), but the date is still wrong here

root@raspberrypi:~# timedatectl status
               Local time: Wed 2022-04-20 23:14:33 EDT
           Universal time: Thu 2022-04-21 03:14:33 UTC
                 RTC time: n/a
                Time zone: America/New_York (EDT, -0400)
System clock synchronized: no
              NTP service: active
          RTC in local TZ: no

I typed this, found in the guide about syncing time above and this is the output. Unlike in the guide, it doesn't say anything is synchronized and he doesn't explain in the guide what to do when it isn't.

I will try setting manually as per instructions above but was hoping to get something more accurate

I am not quite sure how to apply any of those changes unfortunately, but I will see if I can research "changing resolver for raspberry pi os" if that's what I should do? Will also google how to add time servers and see if I can add my router which would be 192.168.2.1 ?

Thanks again

NTP will only correct small time offsets. A day off is too much for NTP to account for.

First step is to use

sudo date -s '21 APR 2020 15:15:00

verify that with date again.

Once you are within about an hour of actual time then NTP will keep things in sync.

Raspberry Pi devices lack an onboard Real Time Clock so it is pretty important to never pull the power and make sure you always safely shut down the Pi when you need to turn it off.

root@raspberrypi:~# date -s '21 APR 2020 15:20:00'
Tue 21 Apr 2020 03:20:00 PM EDT
Tue 21 Apr 2020 03:20:05 PM EDT

Thank you- I completed that command, what should I do next?

ping: google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution```

Still getting this unfortunately

On Raspberry Pi OS, that's often found in dhcpcd.conf.
What's the output of

grep -v '^[[:blank:]]*#\|^[[:blank:]]*$' /etc/dhcpcd.conf

Restart Pi-hole.

root@raspberrypi:~# grep -v '^[[:blank:]]*#\|^[[:blank:]]*$' /etc/dhcpcd.conf
hostname
clientid
persistent
option rapid_commit
option domain_name_servers, domain_name, domain_search, host_name
option classless_static_routes
option interface_mtu
require dhcp_server_identifier
slaac private
interface eth0
        static ip_address=192.168.2.2/24
        static routers=192.168.2.1
        static domain_name_servers=127.0.0.1

I rebooted the entire device via the reboot command..

Wed 20 Apr 2022 02:15:51 PM EDT
ping: google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

The date went back to yesterday, again! Even after manually setting it before a safe reboot! So now instead I should re-issue the date command then just try to restart Pi Hole itself?

Sorry I tried to edit the post to change it to a response to you but ended up having to delete it

I googled how to re-start Pihole without reboot and it was supposedly 'pihole restartdns'

Still have not fixed it sadly

root@raspberrypi:~# date -s '21 APR 2020 15:35:00'
Tue 21 Apr 2020 03:35:00 PM EDT
root@raspberrypi:~# ping google.ca
ping: google.ca: Temporary failure in name resolution
root@raspberrypi:~# pihole restartdns
  [✓] Restarting DNS server
Tue 21 Apr 2020 03:42:06 PM EDT
ping: google.ca: Temporary failure in name resolution

Oh shoot the command he gave me says 2020 for the year. Let me try fixing that, I literally was cut and pasting his instructions

Maybe reset the DNS server and try uploading a debug?

sudo nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf

static domain_name_servers=8.8.4.4 8.8.8.8

sudo service dhcpcd restart

Holy smokes... here we go

root@raspberrypi:~# date -s '21 APR 2022 15:50:00'
Thu 21 Apr 2022 03:50:00 PM EDT
PING google.ca (172.217.1.3) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from iad23s25-in-f3.1e100.net (172.217.1.3): icmp_seq=1 ttl=115 time=5.45 ms
64 bytes from iad23s25-in-f3.1e100.net (172.217.1.3): icmp_seq=2 ttl=115 time=4.99 ms
64 bytes from iad23s25-in-f3.1e100.net (172.217.1.3): icmp_seq=3 ttl=115 time=5.60 ms
^C
--- google.ca ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 5ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 4.985/5.342/5.595/0.273 ms

WOW, it's alive again.. but will this now stay in sync from this point on ?! Is there anything I should be doing right now to either sync it / make sure it stays sync'ed ? I guess yanking the power cord yesterday is the reason it got so screwed up?

THANK you again for your help thus far everyone.

The long power-down period would have caused the time to be off by too much to be synced, as DanSchaper has explained.
It is easy enough to fix that by manually adjusting the system clock, but it's as easy to forget about that until it happens again.

The most reliable way to address this would be to fit your RPi with a battery-backuped RTC. They are reasonably inexpensive (my DS3231 was about 4 Euros).

As for the chicken-egg issue of syncing with an NTP server when DNSSEC is failiing due to incorrect time, it would be best to cut DNSSEC out of the picture for syncing the time.

Editing your dhcpcd.conf (e.g. as suggested by nprampage) would do just that, by having your Raspberry Pi OS use a public DNS server instead of Pi-hole, allowing it to sync even if the time is off.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.