Pi-Hole block page broken

Expected Behaviour:

Pi-Hole block/whitelist page appears on blocked domains when browsing

Actual Behaviour:

On devices on the network other than my RPI - I get the standard 'Cannot connect to network' page on the browser when navigating to a blocked domain.

However if I VNC into RPI and use the built in browser on raspbian - I get the 'would you like to add to whitelist' page on blocked domains.

(I have an Airport Extreme and have tried to disable DNS rebind protection - I can't find this setting in Airport Utility could this be the probable cause?)

Thanks!

Debug Token:

65gdj2ul5b

You have blocking mode = NULL, which returns 0.0.0.0 for a blocked page. If you change this to BLOCKINGMODE=IP-NODATA-AAAA, you will get the blocking page back.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/ftldns/blockingmode/

Changing your default blocking mode is discussed in this link.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/ftldns/configfile/

I don't believe this is related to rebind protection. I use Apple routers and there is no setting for this; I have never had a problem.

That is curious behavior with Chromium. I tested with one of my Pi-Holes (Pi 3B+, blocking mode = NULL). When I went to a known blocked site on a client browser, I got no block page (as expected). When I launched Chromium on that Pi and loaded the same known blocked site, I got a block page (not expected).

I cleared all the caches in that browser, and when I loaded that page I got the same block page (again not expected). Running dig flurry.com from the terminal on the Pi returned 0.0.0.0 as expected.

Update - i tested Chromium again on a different Pi (same hardware) but with blocking mode = IP-NODATA-AAA. I cleared all the browser caches first and it correctly showed the block page.

2 Likes

Thank you for that so quickly! I got thinking that the behaviour was the default from chromium.

I've edited the config file - just want to confirm that if I've never changed any of these settings previously then this file will be blank?
I've literally added 'BLOCKINGMODE=IP-NODATA-AAAA' as the only line of text in the file.

The default setting on a Pi-Hole install is to have a blank file there. You've done it correctly.

After you make the change, run sudo service pihole-FTL restart and FTL will pick up the changes.

1 Like

Excellent. I can confirm it's working now - just tested it on a few devices at home.
Thank you for all your help and speedy responses.
Hopefully the bug with chromium can be fixed!
Cheers,
Nathan

Check your Chromium and see if the uBlock extension is installed.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.