Pi-Hole and YouTube

Hi Everyone,

Absolute newbie here so any help is greatly appreciated. Last Spring I did a basic standard install of Pi-Hole on a Pi 3+. Followed the instructions that I found on the internet and everything worked as expected, it was even blocking Youtube ads. Fast forward to July I tried running Pi-Hole in a docker container and it never did work, I couldn't even get docker to run properly. After a few days I gave up and rebuilt the Pi-Hole from scratch using the same on-line instruction as before. Now for some reason, it's not blocking Youtube ads. I've searched around for a bit and everything indicates that Pi-hole does not work with Youtube but, honestly, I went months without seeing any ads and it wasn't until I rebuilt everything that the ads started reappearing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

pihole can not block youtube ads because the content is from the same servers

actually it can't because it's on the same host, not necessarily the same server.
Pi hole blocks based on host.
however,
Did you make a backup of your config before starting over?

Pi-hole was not blocking YT ads. If they were being blocked, something else was doing the blocking.

It was not blocking the ads in the first place.

Something else has changed in your setup.

The only way you're going to consistently block YouTube ads is a browser plugin, like uBlock Origin or the like.

Or a YT Premium subscription, which works on all platforms (browsers, apps, TV's, etc.).

1 Like

there is this threat which you could try

I tried a few thing from there but in the end, they all failed to work.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.