Pi.hole/admin doesn't work but <IP address>/admin does

Expected Behaviour:

Accessing http://pi.hole/admin loads web inferface.

Actual Behaviour:

Accessing http://pi.hole/admin results in "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" error in Chrome 81.0.4044.122.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/0rrtnihadp/

Hi all,

I know this issue has been raised many times by others, but my debug log seems to be very different to all the others that I've read about. I scanned over it quickly and didn't notice anything obvious, but I'm not a networking expert by any means so any advice would be appreciated.

I'd also like to know why seven different IPv6 addresses are listed, only one of which matches the address in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf. Especially since I don't even have IPv6 enabled on my router!

I can still access the admin console via the Pi's IP address, so this isn't really an urgent issue, but it would be nice to know why the hostname doesn't work when it seemingly should. MTIA! :smiley:

Your debug log appears normal (even with the multiple IPv6 addresses).

Only Pi-hole can resolve the name pi.hole , so if the client is not using Pi-hole for DNS, you will see this problem.

From the client on which the Chrome browser is running, what is the output of these commands run from the command prompt:

nslookup pi.hole

nslookup pi.hole 192.168.1.100

Hi jfb, thanks for responding so quickly :smiley:

The output you requested:

C:\Users\username>nslookup pi.hole
Server:  RaspberryPi
Address:  192.168.1.100

Name:    pi.hole
Addresses:  fd77:bff1:b4d5:0:dea6:32ff:fe44:b82d

C:\Users\username>nslookup pi.hole 192.168.1.100
Server:  RaspberryPi
Address:  192.168.1.100

Name:    pi.hole
Addresses:  fd77:bff1:b4d5:0:dea6:32ff:fe44:b82d

Which seems to me as though it is correct.

Running ipconfig /all also gives me 192.168.1.100 for both DNS server entries. So what the heck is going on??

Thanks again mate :slight_smile:

Now that we have established that the client is using Pi-hole for DNS, let's check your Chrome browser on that client.

Try to load flurry.com on that browser. The domain should be blocked by Pi-hole, as this is a known ad-serving domain.

Yep, gets blocked as it should.

Clear the browser cache, try to load http://pi.hole/admin and post a screen capture here of what you see if the dashboard fails to load.

Also, is this the only browser that is unable to load the web GUI, or is the problem limited to this browser on this client?

LOL the cache must've been the problem. It works now :smiley: Thanks mate, I feel silly for not thinking of that myself :man_facepalming:

Expect a reply on the IPv6 issue sometime today.

No worries, thanks again :smiley:

First of all, it may soothe to know that it is perfectly normal that a network interface gets assigned multiple IPv6 addresses.

An IPv6 address in your home network falls into one of three different ranges:

range description visibility
fe80::/10 link-local private network, same network segment only
fd00::/8 Unique Local Address (ULA) private network, potentially all local segments
2000::/3 global unicast all networks - public Internet and private network
Now, let's take a detailed look how that relates to your debug log (click for more)

IPv6 relies heavily on autonomous configuration of IP addresses through a device (rather than through a central instance). To that end, a device calculates a NIC's IPv6 address based on its MAC address.

Your debug log lists two of these addresses, as recognisable by their characteristic ff:fe codes spanning the sixth and seventh four digit hex block, out of 8 such blocks that define a 128bit IPv6 address.

As a MAC address is designed to be globally unique and normally doesn't change, it is considered sensitive data.
This gave rise to alternate calculation methods to hide the MAC address from prying eyes, most prominently stable private addresses for local network usage and Privacy Extensions for public network communications.

This makes it somehow difficult to tell which is which in your debug log, but I think it's safe to assume your link-local fe80: was calculated as a stable private address, while at least one global 2001: was using Privacy Extensions.

Edit: Since you've disabled IPv6 on your router, all of your global addresses should expire and vanish soon, regardless whether they are Privacy Extensions or not.

Contrary to a stable private address, a Privacy Extension address is strictly temporary and only ever valid for a limited period (commonly 24 hours). After it expires, a device will calculate a new address and only use that to initiate outgoing connections, but it may keep older addresses for a short period in case it still receives incoming traffic for the older address.

You can't tell by the debug log output, but a temporary address will be labeled as such when consulting ip address show for address details.

As several IPv6 addresses are listed for ULA and global scopes, I'd deduce that you (or your OS) have enabled privacy extensions.

So to sum it all up:
Your debug log looks normal.
Nothing strange happening in your network. :wink:

1 Like

Whoaaaaa...thanks for totally overloading my feeble brain with technical jargon, about 5% of which made sense to me LOL. I completed a basic "Networking 101" style class for my B.Comp.Sci degree, but that was 6 or 7 years ago, and I only just barely passed (literally, my final scaled score for all assessments was bang on 50% LOL).

Having said that, it's good to know that nothing "bad" is going on per-se...but it still confuses me that disabling IPv6 in my router hasn't completely obliterated the entire concept of IPv6 addresses from my LAN.

Oh well, I guess it doesn't really matter...as long as my devices can talk to one another and the Internet, which they can :wink: And the problem that I initially posted here about was fixed by a simple browser cache flush LOL.

Anyway thanks for replying and fairwell :slight_smile:

That won't disable link-local and ULA addresses, but you should see the global addresses expire at some stage.
Otherwise, you should revisit how to disable IPv6 on your router.

Because the people that came up with IPv6 didn't think to ask if they should, just did it because they could.

(My Bachelors is in Network Engineering and I held Cisco certs, I don't use IPv6 for home networking. Way to easy to expose your clients to the internet at large.)

But basically if the IPv6 starts with f then it's not going to leave your LAN without a router relaying it, similar to IPv4 NAT. https://ipv6-test.com will tell you if your client is using IPv6. Unless you know you have to have it then it's better to just turn it off completely. You don't need it for a LAN.

Good to know that my hatred of IPv6 is not unwarranted! Thanks for posting this! :wink:

Exactly what I thought! Thanks again for confirming my limited knowledge on the subject.

Hmm, it seems as though you're correct since

And that test confirms that my client is not using IPv6 on the WAN interface, but is still using it on the LAN. So I'll have to reconsult The Oracle to help me disable it there.

Thanks again everyone :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.